Front disc brake question

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
When I put different handle bars on the 77 I noticed that the brake line was pretty tight, I had it up on the bike jack and the front wheel wouldn't want to turn
So I removed the center bracket that held the center of the brake line to the bike which made it loose enough (the brake line that is )
I also took the brake caliper on and off a few times and on the 3rd try I couldn't get it back on
So I pried gently on the brake pad to get it to go in a little more, no luck so I cracked the bleeder at the same time as pushing in the pad and that made getting the caliper go right on again easily as before
My question is does the front wheel free wheel as easy as the back wheel when off the ground
I never tried to spin the front wheel before the switching of the handle bars so I don't know if that's the best it will spin
Heres a video of me spinning the wheel

Attachments

• 20240223_170030.jpg
    20240223_170030.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240223_165746.jpg
    20240223_165746.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 36
In my opinion your wheel spin and the disc dragging noise are acceptable.
Your lever pull is completely unacceptable. It should engage sooner, and should not finish at or even near the grip like yours does. This goes for a smaller bore M/C with stainless line like you have. I think you need to bleed or figure out what else is wrong.

I wouldn't think any air would have gotten into the system but it had too
I bought a pint today cause i figured that lever pressure was wrong
Thanks for the advice!!

The drag looks ok to me. With my dual disc set up I don’t think it spins as well as yours. I agree the noise needs to be addressed. Lever travel is excessive too.

I just expected the front wheel to spin as easily as the rear
Having a lift helps to figure more things out and the lift just started for me to be able to polish up the front rim
Buying it used made it happen
Thanks again
I think the misses might even help bleed the brake line
37 years and they said it would never last lol

I just expected the front wheel to spin as easily as the rear
Having a lift helps to figure more things out and the lift just started for me to be able to polish up the front rim
Buying it used made it happen
Thanks again
I think the misses might even help bleed the brake line
37 years and they said it would never last lol
I believe the only option you have to relieve the minor dragging (I also believe it's okay as is.) would be to take the caliper apart and clean that and the piston. How often do you replace your brake fluid? My fingers are long, but I don't allow my brake lever to get anywhere near that close to the grip.

On this bike I have never replaced the fluid and it's been 3 yrs? since I bought it
Tomorrows task is to bleed the brakes

I acquired a nice XS650G in November. I was assured that it still has the OE brake fluid in it. The brake works just fine. Before I ride this bike, I am going to rebuild the caliper and master cylinder. I will also replace the brake lines.

Can DOT 3 and DOT 4 mix I know DOT 5 won't

I'm hoping 1 pint will do it but I bought 3 and 4 together by mistake
If a pint isn't enough the auto parts store will trade me even up
Thanks !!

Is the lever adjuster screw on your front brake lever tight enough? You want only a very small gap between the end of the screw and the piston in the MC. If it's loose, that might account for some of why the lever is pulling in so much.

Shouldn’t take a whole pint. You only need to fill your MC maybe 2/3 times. That should be plenty to bleed the new fluid through the lines.

valvoline offers 3-4 (works with both) synthetic by the quart I think even Wally-world has it.

I tried using a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder yesterday and it shows vacuum but nothing being drawn down into the container
I think the caliper needs rebuilding
To test the master cylinder can I just take off the line pull the lever and see if it pumps out

I tried using a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder yesterday and it shows vacuum but nothing being drawn down into the container
I think the caliper needs rebuilding
To test the master cylinder can I just take off the line pull the lever and see if it pumps out
I had to fit a grease nipple to the fluid inlet and push the piston out with a grease gun. Messy but safer than using compressed air to blow it out. Needless to say, I had to rebuild the caliper with a new piston. Chrome had peeled of the original one. New one is stainless steel.

Back