rear brake plate

triumph68

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was wondering if the rear brake hub plate is interchangeable ? im getting a 1981 mag and the bloke has kept the brake plate . can i use any xs650 plate and if so what would fit in a 1981 mag thanks . andrew from down under

I'm pretty sure they all swap but to be on the safe side, it would probably be best to stick with a '74 or newer one. Early hubs had an electric brake wear switch installed but it doesn't effect fit or function. You simply don't hook it up. You can remove it's wire and cut the tab off the brake plate. Yamaha re-cast the plate in '78 eliminating the wire tab and the boss for the switch. Those later hubs are the cleanest looking. Here's a TX750 plate showing the switch, wire, and tab. It was the same as used on the 650 plate .....

750RearBrake.jpg

Here's a '77 plate. Yamaha stopped using the switch by then but still used the old casting. They just didn't drill the boss out for the switch and rather crudely cut the wire tab off .....

77BrakeHub.jpg

Here's the new cleaned up casting used from '78 on .....

78BrakeHub.jpg

thanks guys i can allways count on the good people on this site to lend a hand with out makeing me feel like a total dickhead . andrew from down under

Back