Rear wheel knocking

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just replaced my mag wheels with spoke wheels. When I rotate the rear wheel by hand I can hear a 'knocking' sound. I can also feel it somewhere on the tire or rim.

Any ideas what this could be? I haven't taken the bike out since the swap but I did start it up on the center stand, put it in first, and give it some gas. It vibrated like crazy, way worse than before the swap and the top part of the chain was jumping around quite a lot even though it was properly tensioned.

Any ideas?

Best,
Adam

I'd take the wheel off and check/REPLACE (if not new already:)) the bearings. Remember what spacers and covers go on which side too!

Condition of chain and sprockets???

'Nuther lil tip; with axle loose, the inner bearing "sleeves" spin on the axle when rotating the tire. When tight, the sleeves don't spin. So, with dry/old/tight... WORN OUT AND IN NEED OF SERVICE... possibly rusty balls moving and/or not moving like they should, 1) When tight; you get rough and chattery. 2) When loose, bearings and all slide freely on the axle. Barring any discussion on how much friction or grease is affecting the spacers.:wink2:

Take them out, and replace them, period. You may as well as you don't know how old they are, plust for a few $$ it will be worth it.

:agree:

1) Money well spent.
2) (for shits & giggles:)) to check them simply remove wheel, and using a finger, push, pull, wiggle, and spin the inner sleeves. There'll likely be rough spots, loose spots, and debris caked in spots that work around the balls. NO easy way to clean. And with the time and money spent on that procedure, well......

..... and don't throw out the spacer pressed into the left bearing with the old bearing. That's a $25 mistake.

Check the bearings first by getting the back wheel off the deck and try to move it on the axle by gripping the top and bottom of the tyre and wiggling, then at the 9 and 3 o clock position.
If they are OK - Is the wheel buckled?
Check it for true with a pointer fixed to the work bench and put it against the rim, then spin it and check for true.

Back