Rear wheel - What year and model??

Niels B

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Any experts out there on rear wheels? Got this among a bunch of other XS650 stuff.
It’s a 16” rim, I believe it may be from a ‘80-81 special, however I can find any pictures/schematics that have this spoke pattern, total of 48 spokes. I’m quiet certain it was on one of the basket case XS I bought, one of them had a lot of special parts wherever it was possible :)

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes, an '82 or '83 Heritage Special wheel. I have one on my '83 and will be re-doing it with an alloy rim and stainless spokes once the tire wears out. I don't mind the 48 spoke rear wheel but I don't care for it's matching 72 spoke front. It's too much I think, and the spokes are skinnier too. Looks like a harp to me, lol. I've already swapped it out for a regular 36 spoke wheel, redone with stainless spokes and a slightly wider 2.15" alloy rim .....

NewWheelMounted4.jpg

NewWheelMounted6.jpg

However, that brake plate is older, from a '78-'80 model. For a brake plate history, see this thread .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/650-rear-drum-brake-plates.51046/

Yes, an '82 or '83 Heritage Special wheel. I have one on my '83 and will be re-doing it with an alloy rim and stainless spokes once the tire wears out. I don't mind the 48 spoke rear wheel but I don't care for it's matching 72 spoke front. It's too much I think, and the spokes are skinnier too. Looks like a harp to me, lol. I've already swapped it out for a regular 36 spoke wheel, redone with stainless spokes and a slightly wider 2.15" alloy rim .....

View attachment 261827

View attachment 261828

However, that brake plate is older, from a '78-'80 model. For a brake plate history, see this thread .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/650-rear-drum-brake-plates.51046/
I see, (yours look nice by the way). I was looking at earlier models - thought the later models had mag wheels. I’ll have to get this one exchanged for an 18” rim and hub as it has to fit on either a ‘75 or ‘78 standard

The "deluxe" Special models had mags up through '81, the cheaper Special II models had spoke wheels (normal 36 spoke). You can run that wheel on a Standard but may need to change the brake torque arm. The one on the Special was "dished" out for tire clearance .....

Special Torque Arm.jpg

Or you can convert that hub to an 18" rim. They sell longer spoke sets specifically for doing that.

The "deluxe" Special models had mags up through '81, the cheaper Special II models had spoke wheels (normal 36 spoke). You can run that wheel on a Standard but may need to change the brake torque arm. The one on the Special was "dished" out for tire clearance .....

View attachment 261829

Or yo can convert that hub to an 18" rim. They sell longer spoke sets specifically for doing that.
I got all the fittings and the arm too, gues spokes and 18” rim may be the cheapest option - thanks for the heads up

Nice article on the rear hub, just looked at mine and it sure enough have the marking relating to the 78-80, which mean I probably came from the ‘78E I’m working on now. Got this one as well - must belong to the ‘75 I don’t have a title to yet ( it’s a pain in the A to get it here in FL, in spite a clear police check and a bill of sale )

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 18
Yes, that's a '74 - early '77 brake plate with the electric brake wear switch and the bracket on the plate for the wiring to run through. On the TX750 and XS500 brake plates I'm using, I just cut that casting off and smoothed the plate out .....

Before3.jpg

RrHubDone2.jpg

For the brake wear switch, I wanted to replace it with a bolt but couldn't find one that size and with the proper fine thread pitch. The best I could do was just replace the the Phillips screw with an Allen. Once installed, you can't hardly see that switch anyway, the brake lever covers it ......

BrakeArmMount.jpg

Just picked up my wheel after get'n new tires.. some German brand.... barley fits.... almost touches swing arm...I'm not a fan f the brake plate..... the brake lever has a " needle point " for lining wear and blank holes left over from other model years... I didn't have a smooth brake plate at this time.. once I get it... I'll have it painted glossy black... easy to clean... no buffing... 😎

Attachments

• Xs drum.jpg
    Xs drum.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 23
Just picked up my wheel after get'n new tires.. some German brand.... barley fits.... almost touches swing arm...I'm not a fan f the brake plate..... the brake lever has a " needle point " for lining wear and blank holes left over from other model years... I didn't have a smooth brake plate at this time.. once I get it... I'll have it painted glossy black... easy to clean... no buffing... 😎
I see you went with a non-stock tire. 130/90-16 is stock. What I see is 5.00 x 16. That's a taller tire and what I intend for my XS6502-F project. Please post more pics of your rear tire and wheel.

I've changed the brake rod adjuster nut to a wingnut .....

RearBrakeWingNut2.jpg

My old BMWs came with these and I always liked them. This one is a Yamaha part, from a Virago, and only costs a few dollars .....

RearBrakeWingNut.jpg

I see you went with a non-stock tire. 130/90-16 is stock. What I see is 5.00 x 16. That's a taller tire and what I intend for my XS6502-F project. Please post more pics of your rear tire and wheel.
I'll be at my work space Tuesday ... 😎

" HEIDENAU " Brand.... never heard of it... I simply asked for a tire... not a " name " brand.. My BMW buddy said they are good tires... 😎

Attachments

• XS new tire.jpg
    XS new tire.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 19
I've changed the brake rod adjuster nut to a wingnut .....

View attachment 261939

My old BMWs came with these and I always liked them. This one is a Yamaha part, from a Virago, and only costs a few dollars .....

View attachment 261942
I've been told by a couple of Brit guys... that the wing nut style on older b]Brits.. have been known to strip out... aluminum .... so, they double nut a short distance behind the aluminum wing adjuster.... I did it to my Brit's... This being a steel unit.... that shouldn't be an issue... :)

Yes, it's steel. I was hoping it would be chromed, but no such luck, lol, just cad plated by the looks of it.

Back