Repaint; touch up bare areas

nobackhair

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve sanded multiple areas where either the paint blistered or chipped. blistering as a result of gas dripping. So the sanding took care of borders where the paint meets metals. The highs and lows. so surfaces are now flush. What I could use is some advice with what can I clean the oils, etc. with that won’t remove existing paint. Most volitales as in acetone, lacquer thinner types wilI break down the paint and I’ll lose that flushness; smooth surface I got sanding. Paint thinner is mild but a bit oily. I’m definitely not going with soap and water or degreaser and water. It seems like a volitale based chemical would be best but how to weaken it.

Mineral spirits on frame etc is fine high build gloss black rattle can, duplicolor rustoleum etc. work great a few minutes after a mineral spirits wipe down.

I’ve sanded multiple areas where either the paint blistered or chipped. blistering as a result of gas dripping. So the sanding took care of borders where the paint meets metals. The highs and lows. so surfaces are now flush. What I could use is some advice with what can I clean the oils, etc. with that won’t remove existing paint. Most volitales as in acetone, lacquer thinner types wilI break down the paint and I’ll lose that flushness; smooth surface I got sanding. Paint thinner is mild but a bit oily. I’m definitely not going with soap and water or degreaser and water. It seems like a volitale based chemical would be best but how to weaken it.
Most auto parts stores sell wax and grease remover, in the paint section. Some have it in one quart cans.

I would use a solvent de-greaser and any of those shown here will do the job.
I've never had any issue with using (cellulose) thinners on OE paint.

Back