Replacement stator

kayakcullen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wandering if I could get some suggestions on a replacement stator. I originally bought the Hugh's hand built kit with a pamco setup. Also running on a capacitor. I seen a page a month ago with suggestions of alternative replacements, but can't remember where it's at. I know it was a few people going with a stator a from different bikes that would work with the Hugh's rotor.

They will not work with Hugh's kit. Stator isn't as deep as those. They will hit the rotor. You need to shorten his bracket or go with a banshee rotor.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking of doing the esg740 stator with the banshee rotor. I don't have any ability to shorten the Hughes mounting plate. Will this work with the Hughes regulator? I have a spare. Didn't want to buy another one of I don't have to.

I don't know anything about that stator, but the HHB regulator is (theoretically) the same typical 3-phase r/r that you'd use for any PMA system.

Why are you doing any of this if your system ain't broke? Put the $150 you're about to spend into your gas tank.

I guess I forgot to mention that I fried the Hughes stator. My bike would shut off after twenty minutes of running. Wouldn't be able to start it back up till after an hour. Figured something was getting hot. Checked he voltage, it was running up into the 15's and 16's. By that time I checked the stator and I had cooked the protective sleeve around the wiring and had it all messed up. Obviously a mistake on my part. That's why I am having to replace it.

I guess I forgot to mention that I fried the Hughes stator. My bike would shut off after twenty minutes of running. Wouldn't be able to start it back up till after an hour. Figured something was getting hot. Checked he voltage, it was running up into the 15's and 16's. By that time I checked the stator and I had cooked the protective sleeve around the wiring and had it all messed up. Obviously a mistake on my part. That's why I am having to replace it.

I suggest you install a voltmeter permanently on your bike. You need to see the voltage in the 14 to 14.5 volt range when you are driving down the road.

Its possible that your rec/regulator is the cause of overheating. Monitor the voltage as you ride, and ring the alarm bell if it goes over 14.5.

Doesn't sound like it was "your fault" you installed a new reg,rec and stator? Appears the reg went bad and the hurt the stator.
Is the reg/rec out where air can cool it? Wiring and connections installed ok?
How many hours or miles are on the system?

Doesn't sound like it was "your fault" you installed a new reg,rec and stator? Appears the reg went bad and the hurt the stator.
Is the reg/rec out where air can cool it? Wiring and connections installed ok?
How many hours or miles are on the system?

I bought the Hughes system a couple of years ago. But, technically it has only been running for a few hours. Due to other things needing to be worked on, I kept putting it to the side. Every time summer came around I was putting it off because I had another bike and Jeep. My stator is down low behind the engine. If I remember right, that is where the old regulator used to be. Is this a bad spot for this set up?

Some people will hide their rec/reg where air can't get to it and dissipate heat.

Do you have a meter?
If so we can walk you through the system to ensure you what needs replacing.

Posted via Mobile

Some people will hide their rec/reg where air can't get to it and dissipate heat.

Do you have a meter?

If so we can walk you through the system to ensure you what needs replacing.

Posted via Mobile

I do have a meter. I was able to check voltage when I first started the bike. With the lights off, I was running about 11.5v. Then I would rev it up and see16v, which I know is bad. This is on a capacitor if I haven't mentioned that. With the lights on, it would drop to 9 volts. After about twenty minutes, it would drop to around five and quit. I also tried testing everything with it attached to a separate battery. I tested the regulator and was still only seeing five volts. After that, I started to look at my stator and could tell something was wrong. When I pulled it off it looked cooked. The plastic sleeve had melted into the stator. One of the three wires was now bare from the heat. Also some of the windings looked like they had come unwound where the three wires connect. I already have a new stator coming in the mail. When I do install it on the bike, how do I check it to make sure everything is right. Isn't it supposed to be 14 volts ac coming from the stator?

Forgot to ask, when the bike has been running for a while, wouldn't the regulator be warm to the touch. I know when I checked mine after twenty minutes, it was cold.

Got the new stator in today. Started test fitting and seeing if I was gonna have problems. The Hugh's stator at its mounting surface is 15mm thick. The new stator I got (esg740) is 20mm thick. With my new rotor it seems to fit. I don't have any rubbing. It's pretty close though. I'm wandering if it wouldn't hurt to maybe shave off a few mm's from the mounting bracket.

If for any reason, you find issues with your HHB PMA, we are here to help and get it going. No matter the reason, our goal is happy customers and XS650's on the road :bike:

Hugh

If for any reason, you find issues with your HHB PMA, we are here to help and get it going. No matter the reason, our goal is happy customers and XS650's on the road :bike:

Hugh

Thanks. I've learned a lot reading your posts and everyone else's. When I first got my xs, I didn't really know much of anything. Did a lot of browsing the Internet for information. Was able to get the stator mounted today. Got it all wired back up and started it. At idle I am getting 14.5. When I rev it up, it doesn't change. I will be mounting a voltmeter somewhere for reassurance later on. I was thinking about some of my wiring and had a question. Right now I have an inline fuse from the regulator, then everything runs to a 6 slot fuse block. If I wanted to, couldn't I just run the regulator straight to a fuse at the fuse block, then the fuse block screw terminal to the positive side capacitor?

Back