Replacing spark plug wires/caps

hjpaul7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I decided to replace the spark plug wires/caps on my 78 with new NGK BP7ES spark plugs. The guy at the local vintage bike shop sold me some wire and NGK VD05F resisiter caps. However when I tried to put the caps on the plugs they're very loose and don't seem to really make contact. So I'm assuming..wrong caps?

So I pulled the old wire off the old cap and looks like I could probably just put the new wire in the old caps. Looks like the connected is cut into the wire to make connection, then fed through the cap? How to do you this connector off and on the new wire?

Or if there's just a pre made set you can buy that'd work too, couldn't really find anything. Picture below, new NGK caps are up top, old on bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20140602_224110.jpg
    IMG_20140602_224110.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20140602_224056.jpg
    IMG_20140602_224056.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 202
The "F" type NGK caps attach to the spark plug "stud". That's the little threaded end after you remove the "nut". Your old caps attached to the nut. The BP7ES plugs come with the nut installed so you'll need to remove it. It usually takes some pliers to break it loose. Most of us use the 90° NGK cap, the LB05F .....

NGKLB05.jpg

If you look in the wire end of your NGK cap, you'll see what looks like the end of a wood screw. The cap simply "screws" into the end of the plug wire. You would have to cut that crimp thing off that's on there from your old cap. I like to trim another 1/8" or so of the insulation off and fan the wire strands out like so before screwing the cap on .....

PlugWireEnd.jpg

A little dielectric grease on the end of the wire isn't a bad idea either.

Back