Rewired LED Turn Sigs Flashing Really Fast!

tom4130

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I wired up some new LED Flashers to my 1980 XS650, with a stock wiring harness, and they work fine, except they flash like they are on crack!!

If the engine is not on, they just stay constantly illuminated, thats fine, just like they did with the stock signals, but once load is added to the throttle, instead of a nice on/off, they just flash like a blur. Anything that can be suggested here? I am aware that the relay may be too high voltage for the low power LED's? Im not great at electrical so any suggestions would be great.

Here are the lights in question, jsut some small 6LED nubs that I made some brackets for.

Thanks

get this. it flashers at a steady rate no matter the draw.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/
I like those. Do you have a link on ebay for those?

Thanks angus, Do I just replace the current flasher with this then? Or do I have to add it into the harness somewhere? Im sure that is a completely dense question, but just making sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Here is a listing on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-2pcs-6-LED-Turn-Indicator-Signal-Lights-Lamp-Black-12V-for-Motorcycle-/291353361291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d6037b8b&vxp=mtr

just replace your existing flasher with it. you will have to cut the ends off, and a little soldering of spade connectors, but is easy. no need to worry about the signal cancellor. just don't hook it up. That's what the third wire is for.
thanx for the link.

Let us know how those lights hold up.
And I will steal that light bracket idea ; )

Go to autozone and get a resistor for LED lights. They will know what you're talking about. Your electrical system thinks you have a blown bulb and is trying to tell you. Thus is because the LED light practically pulls no current, unlike the old incandescent bulbs. Your electrical system is just looking for a load. It's a cheap fix.

those resistors make a lot of heat. fwi.
And if you think you are doing your charging system a favor by using leds, you are correct....until you put the resistors in. Then its just like have incandescent bulbs.

Before you buy anything, is your flasher LED compatible? If so it is electronic. In the stock place on the bike it maybe too close to the coil. The magnetic field of the coil can screw with electronic flashers. Especially if you are running a hot coil/ I use the superbright flasher and at first it acted like yours Flash ok with out the bike running but go nuts when the engine was running. I run the green monster coil. It was a bit to much for the flasher I just moved the flasher as far away as I could. I was building my own harness so I just rearranged the wires so the flasher was mounted to the front of the battery box. Works great. If your flasher won't move very far just make up some wires that plug into the sock and onto the flasher.
Leo

Back