Right carb. Is over flowing out of overflow chamber !

chrisdomin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a big problem, my right carb. just started poring out fuel out of the overflow chambers, I cannot figure out, what could be causing this. and I have fuel coming out the tail pipe because of all the fuel. should I also change out oil so just in case fuel got into it.? thanks in advance for your tips:confused:

Hey guys, I have a big problem, my right carb. just started poring out fuel out of the overflow chambers, I cannot figure out, what could be causing this. and I have fuel coming out the tail pipe because of all the fuel. should I also change out oil so just in case fuel got into it.? thanks in advance for your tips:confused:

stuck float needle or sunken float, yes change the oil, I'd remove spark plugs and squirt some oil into that cylinder and turn it over a few times with the kickstarter (slowly) to re-lubricate the piston/rings/cylinder wall before trying to start it after fixing the carb problem/oil change

thanks for your help Jayel, I will let you know what I find out.

Hi Chris
First I would check the float needles...make sure the spring on the needle works smoothly.

Then I would swap the needles...right to left and left to right. This should tell you if one of the needles are bad

Then swap floats...right to left bowl and left to right bowl...you get the point

Regarding fuel in crankcase...gggGary adviced me to keep an eye on the oil level and also smell it for fuel. You can also test the oil...is it dilluted/thin

Another problem could be the float needle seat gasket. They can dry out and leak

Good luck! I am in the middle of solving my own carb problems...hopefully solved tomorrow.

stuck float needle or sunken float, yes change the oil, I'd remove spark plugs and squirt some oil into that cylinder and turn it over a few times with the kickstarter (slowly) to re-lubricate the piston/rings/cylinder wall before trying to start it after fixing the carb problem/oil change

If you are using an original vacuum petcock, in addition to the above you should re-surface the petcock valve face.

Drain fuel into a container for re-use. Remove the two small screws on the face plate ring surrounding the petcock handle. Remove the plate. Behind the plate is a ring spring and the valve handle. Extract the spring and handle. The handle has an o-ring seal. Inspect the seal but do not remove it. If it is cracked and dry, it must be replaced. The "ring spring" is used to exert pressure against the petcock handle to improve sealing between the handle and the rubber valve body behind the handle. Reverse the rubber valve body inside the petcock. Using 200 grit wet dry sandpaper and a flat surface like a piece of glass rub the face of the petcock handle on the sandpaper until you can see that it is flat. Now switch to 600 wet dry. Finally switch to 1500 grit and "polish" the face in the same way as before.

Thoroughly clean the valve handle with soap and water, dry it and give it a spray of Silicone lube. Insert the handle back into the petcock. Now be fore placing the ring spring into the petcock, slightly "tweek" the bends of the spring to exert slightly more pressure on the valve handle. Insert the ring spring into the petcock. Re-attach the face plate using the two small screws. Fill the tank. Leave the petcock in the "Run" position and it should no longer leak into the carb when the engine is not running.

Glenn

Back