Rocker shafts

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a way to free up rocker shafts for removal? I have adapted a 6mm bolt to my slide hammer. The right side came right out but the left side is refusing to move. I have tried heating the housing and soaking with penetrating oil. I have penetrating oil on them now and am going to let them sit till this evening and try again.

If you place a large washer against the head and pass the M6 bolt with a nut on it through it, you can tighten the nut against the washer and pull the shaft. You can't get it all the way out like this but it should break it free. You can extract it up to the point it hits the back of the big washer. By then, it may be loose enough for the slide hammer to finish the job.

Its been a while since I did that job, but I seem to remember using a socket with a washer and a 6 mm bolt going through it. The socket creates a space to allow the shaft to be pulled almost fully out. No need for a slide hammer....................I have never owned one.

If you place a large washer against the head and pass the M6 bolt with a nut on it through it, you can tighten the nut against the washer and pull the shaft. You can't get it all the way out like this but it should break it free. You can extract it up to the point it hits the back of the big washer. By then, it may be loose enough for the slide hammer to finish the job.
Thanks 5twins. Like I always say, "you don't have to be smart, you just need to know smart people."

Doug, I don't recall having a problem with mine but these suggestions should work. But having said that if I did have a problem getting some out I would try heating maybe put the housing in the oven at 250º for half an hour then try the side hammer while still hot. The coefficient of expansion of steel is less than that of the aluminum so it should make them come out easier.

If you want to get all technical Aluminum expands at about 12X10 to the sixth power for each degree F where steel is in the 7X10 to the sixth power range!

I use the 25mm adapter from my valve spring compressing tool. (A must have anyway)
Works perfect.

I start the removal by stacking a couple of old head stud and a fender washer, then move on to the adapter.

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

Oh, that's a good one. I wondered how to pull it out past the head, and well, there it is, lol. Yes, I have that tool. And yes, it is a "must have" tool for old bikes. Notice I didn't just say "650". I have several different brands of old bikes and when it comes to removing the valves from the heads, this particular spring compressor is the best I've found. I have and have tried several other types and there is just no comparison.

...... and I have to add, don't buy it from Mike's. You can find it for near half the price on eBay. I will admit to buying mine from them but that was like 10 years ago while it was still reasonably priced, before the new owners took over and doubled the price on everything, lol.

I ran into the same problem where once i had pulled the shaft as far as I could with the washers, it still wouldn't come out. But since "poor folks got poor ways"
I just made up a quick puller and they came right out. Im going to look into that valve spring compressor. there must be some more pieces to it when you use it on a head

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 130
Back