Rotor Interchange

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Go'n out to the local cycle boneyard... find a rotor (electrical) for my 82' Special....last time I was out there.. they were a little thin on Special's.... is the rotor... with the magnet found on the Special's used on any other Yamaha units ?... Thank you šŸ˜Ž

My.. excuse .. is if I get a used rotor and it solves my problem... (at this point I'm just tossing the idea my rotor goes nuts during operation..) If the problem is corrected, I'll pop for a rebuilt unit.... I have a couple of test bad rotors I'll send to the fellow who rewinds these things. I have been on a 2-week road trip to Hershey and Gettysburg, PA... Hershey is French for sticker shock.... over 9000 vendors.... very little motorcycle bits... so, several projects have been delayed..... and O'Man Winter and his crony Jack Frost is around the corner... Grrrrr .... but I just bought the 1.4 billon lotto ticket.. after taxes.. maybe 225 million.... I'll have a Florida driver's license within a week... šŸ˜Ž

This rotor is unique to the XS650 and not used on any other motor. As mentioned, the one with a magnet embedded for the TCI came on the '80 to '83 models, but if you're boneyard shopping, check 'em all. Maybe a later rotor was swapped onto an older bike before it got junked.

Jim's rewound XS rotors are the only way to go. I put one on my 82 Special, and added a volt meter at the same time, now it charges 14.5 and even has more Horse Power, and Red Lines much quicker. I'll be another happy forum member to highly recommend Jim for his great quality rewound XS rotors.

Come out at 5000 and shift at 7OOO
Backshift

I think Jim may have a core sitting on the bench if he didn't rewind and sell it yet!
And if he does need another core with magnet I think I have one I could get in the mail in a day or two.:)

Back