Rubber Boots for Meter Light Bulb Sockets

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
This thread relates to a recent WANTED ad I posted in classifieds for either meter wiring harnesses or for the rubber boots/holders for the 12V-3.4W bulbs.

I sent an email to MikesXS asking for availability of such parts. They promise to get back with me.

I sent a note to Vintage Connections. http://vintageconnections.com/

Below is an excerpt of my original email. I plan to follow-up with his suggestions to the extent possible.

My 1976 Yamaha XS650C is in need of new rubber boots for the 10 or so Meter light sockets on the tachometer, speedometer and turn signal / brake lining indicator lights. On the tach & speedo, the rubber boots secure the bulb (12V-3.4W) sockets/holders into the bottom of the meter bodies. On my '76C, the same rubber boots are used for the L-R Turn Signal indicator lights. The boots for these bulbs pop into the Meter Bracket and help with vibration as well as bulb positioning.

Do you know of a source for new XS650 Tachometer, Speedometer and Turn Signal Wiring Harnesses or a source for the rubber boots?

After nearly 40 years, the rubber disintegrates.... There doesn't seem to be a source for refurbishing original meter hardware with new, pliable rubber parts.

Del's Reply:

Subject: Re: Availability of Rubber Boots for Meter Indicator Light Bulbs (Tach/Speedo/Turn Signal Indicator Lights)

Hi,

I fully understand the problem, as I have old bikes of my own and this comes up routinely.

You might try contacting the guy who reproduces the HC-2/HC-3 rubber connector pairs that are illustrated on my main page of the site. I mention his business name in the part description. You can find his contact information via Google, as I don't have it immediately at hand.

He finds rubber parts that need to be reproduced and then measures them and draws up CAD files that are used to make the molds. These types of rubber covers you're seeking vary only slightly from one marque to the next, as most Japanese motorcycle manufacturers of the Sixties to the Eighties used Nippon Seiki as the manufacturer of their instruments. They mostly all used Sumitomo as the manufacturer of their wiring harnesses, as well. So, there tends to be a huge commonality of some particular types of parts, like these rubber covers.

If he's willing to reproduce these rubber bulb covers, I'd be highly likely to stock and sell them on my site. His reproduction rubber parts are typically of a very high quality.

Let me know if he expresses a willingness to work with you on such a project. I know of no other way to acquire rubber parts like these. Even if they cost $3-4 each as retailed reproductions, they'd still be a hell of a deal to acquire.

Del

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1065.jpg