Trade - Sale or trade: '80 XS11+ for XS650 of comprable value.

special ed

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Greetings Brothers and Sisters. I am new to this site, but not to riding. I got my first street bike in 1959. But skipping the Bio and cutting to the chase, as they say:
I have a '79/'80 XS11 very Special. I say "very"Special because the engine has an RC Engineering big bore (1182 c.c.) kit, high compression pistons and ported heads. Top end has around 30,000 miles on it and the bottom end and tranny have over 130,000, but has had major bearings replaced and the second gear "tranny fix."No leaks, burns no oil. Will do "the Ton"with the windshield on, and with throttle left over. Cruses effortlessly at 70 and 80 without breathing hard.
Other features: crossover spaghetti pipes with 3"out turned "mufflers;"engine painted black with polished fin edges and brass painted valve cover; custom hand made leather handlebar grips; it was rebuilt by one of the foremost XS11 wrenches on the West Coast; I also have many new and salvaged parts to go with it.
Downers: brakes need a thorough going over; the bike sat under a tarp for 8 years (prior to my ownership,) so it has cosmetic issues; the seat is beat up and could use an after market cover, or a replacement; battery cover is missing; will need a rear tire soon; could use a heavy duty clutch to capture the maximum thrill of the hot engine.
I am really attached to this bike, but I have to find a smaller ride. I am 69, and a cancer survivor. I ride better than I walk when I get it going, but I can no longer hold it up if it starts to tip. I need a smaller bike, Yamaha has been very good to me, and an XS650 is top on my list, followed by a 650 Maxim, but I would consider other options.
This bike would be a great base for a bobber, or a street fighter, especially since it is already halfway there. Could be an Iron Butt bike also.
Is there a 650 owner out there who would like to trade up to a bigger bike? I would like for it to go to someone who would really appreciate it. I'll try to post Poto's soon: I don't like the ones I have now.
I'm suggesting $1000 for bike and parts, but I'm open to dickering.
Keep the rubber side down!
Special Ed:D

I have a 1975 650 with 11000 miles on it. I just found a dealer "take off" seat that was
laying wrapped in plastic since 1975 when it was taken off for a King/Queen seat.
The bike is all stock except exhaust. Flashers are still stock and it has an OEM front Engine bar and rear chrome shelf. 2k on new tires. Startet works fine, has been sitting dry storage inside for 12 years, has never been stored outside or left long periods out.
Bars are stock as are forks. I have new seals, and sway bar bushings for it (sway is tight but this with bushings is better) 2 dimples on tank from flashers, has never been wrecked, paint still looks good. Where you located.
Larry

I just checked your profile and you are a bit of a ways from here. Pity, sounds like a nice bike. Guess I need to fill out my profile!
Special Ed