Searching the site and the Google search box

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I created a thread about a week and half ago in the Forum News and Info section about all the ways to search XS650.com and it's only had 22 views as of today. :( Sad considering the site currently has over 400,000 page views per month.

So here it is! Options for Searching Check it out, you might learn something!

Also, does everyone see the Google search box to right of the XS650.com logo? Under it is a search box for ebay. The only people that should not be able to see those search boxes are people that don't have javascript enabled in their browsers (should be less than 2% of the users) and people browsing the site using the mobile skin (also a small percentage of the users).

According to the server stats, hardly anyone is using the Google search box. It's a great tool and in many ways is better than the regular forum search. As I said in the Options for Searching thread, it's good to use both. I thought it would get used a lot since there is no image verification for people who are not logged in.

So what's the deal? Do people just not search or what? Or is there something wrong and you can't see the google search box at the top? I thought this was going to be great tool for the site since it searches both xs650.com and 650rider at the same time.

Thanks for the input guys.

Also, if you can't see the search boxes to the right of the xs650.com logo, and you think you should be able to, please post and let me know. Be sure to include what internet browser you are using. Thanks!

What am I supposed to type/see in the Google search box thats different to just clicking on top left forum topics?:confused:

Last edited:
I'm not looking for any specific information, buuuut I'm basically pressing "New Posts" like 100 times a day. At least. I guess my project is rounding it's home stretch to completion.

XS1961, you can search for specific things and find what you are looking for more quickly. It will also search both XS650.com and 650rider.com at the same time. Say you want to learn about hydraulic clutches, type hydraulic clutch into the search and it'll show you specific results on this site and on 650 Rider. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

I have just been using the search button on the forum. But the Google search is a LOT better.

Thanks.

Beau, I'm glad you appreciate the addition of the google search. They both have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. That's why I use more than one search type if I'm really digging for something. Sometimes searching tags helps to find really specific stuff.

I'm going to change a setting on the server so that the forum search will recognize three-character words. I'll have to restart mysql (the database) so I'll wait until a low traffic time. I hope that will make the forum search more useful.

It's not a function I find myself using on here very often, but I checked it out and I definitely appreciate how well it works. Thanks Travis.

so the google search only searches this forum? or does it search 650 and this one specifically?

You know I have seen the google search button but just assumed it was a "google searchbutton" not realizing it is a site(s) specific button. On many forums I have been on the Google button is just a scattergun web search bringing up all the druck I don't need to wade through. So I learned something new today. Trav; since this feature IS remotely motorcycle related throw your blurb out in the garage forum cause that and the classys is where the eyes are. And actually the site search works better than many I have used. Thanks for what you do Trav.

I'm glad a few of you are using it. I've seen a noticeable increase in usage. I guess that makes it worth doing. :thumbsup:

I thought the google search box would promote itself being at the top of every page but maybe I'll promote it a little more to make sure people know how it works.. I think it is a great tool!

Back