Shape of Motorcycle Engines..

1706031365463.png

Didn't catch on?

The angle of the front cylinder carb looks excessive on the Ducati V twins.

Most engines, and I would venture to opine the most popular with the public over the years were designed using the basic rule "Form Follows Function"
You have internal components surrounded by housings that were essentially lumps and bumps that housed what was inside. The cobbier and more eccentric in appearance were often the most popular because they gave the eye different things to notice from different angles of view.
The BSA power egg among others were attempts to stylize to a more modern market housing basically what what came before in an art deco or streamlined cover that would appeal to a current market. On the other hand that type of design turned off as many as it attracted.
The 80's saw the rise of the stylized V-Twin to mimic the Harley Davidson mystic, Honda was even so bold as to refer to some of their early V-Twin models as "Shadows". My wife's 750 ACE is a prime example of an engine designed strictly for visual appeal, having facades that need to be removed before you can remove covers that actually allow you to do maintenance.
Older Harleys, Triumph twins and various others are prime examples of the "FFF" design philosophy, are classic, immediately identifiable and loved for their funky contours.

I'm so long legged and with old age back issues I need (want) a narrow engine.
Got a too good to pass up deal on a Honda ST1100 (thanks JRP01) Rode it home from sillyfornia and spent the rest of the year altering and buying different seats before giving up and selling it on. NEVER able to find a comfortable position, the big V4 put it's jugs right where my knees needed to be. Sigh.
The Beemer GS nails my left shin with a sensor sticking out of the intake tract, sigh again. I have it covered with foam and tape LOL
The Uly is pretty darned comfortable, good fit. Reliability ??? keep niggling at me, sigh three.
The new honda 750 transalp is getting close to ideal, I may not be able to wait for prices to drop to GG levels, the aging out clock is ticking. (Hell the death knolls are ringing)

Last edited:
Most engines, and I would venture to opine the most popular with the public over the years were designed using the basic rule "Form Follows Function"
You have internal components surrounded by housings that were essentially lumps and bumps that housed what was inside. The cobbier and more eccentric in appearance were often the most popular because they gave the eye different things to notice from different angles of view.
The BSA power egg among others were attempts to stylize to a more modern market housing basically what what came before in an art deco or streamlined cover that would appeal to a current market. On the other hand that type of design turned off as many as it attracted.
The 80's saw the rise of the stylized V-Twin to mimic the Harley Davidson mystic, Honda was even so bold as to refer to some of their early V-Twin models as "Shadows". My wife's 750 ACE is a prime example of an engine designed strictly for visual appeal, having facades that need to be removed before you can remove covers that actually allow you to do maintenance.
Older Harleys, Triumph twins and various others are prime examples of the "FFF" design philosophy, are classic, immediately identifiable and loved for their funky contours.
The several casting methods that were in use back in the day, greensand, investment, etc... these evolved and slowly the abilities of fabrication became modern... So perhaps we might add to FFF also follows what become possible, often what become cheap enough to do...casting and machine tool, etc. Technology - thus I'd propose FFFT . I once spent a day with a pattern maker and a core maker and some very rare flat-head jugs...big valve 45...they were really focused on reverse-engineering the way they'd been cast... The goal was 55 inch 45... all those fellas are gone... They used to tell stories about the local whore-house, which ran yet very quietly, old johns and old whores, old friends. My new jugs never got cast.

Back