Sonofabitch wheel bearings...

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wheel bearings need replacing, and they are not coming out. The rear has a little collar pressed into the sprocket side bearing that will drive the center spacer into the inner race on the opposite side bearing. First I put a socket on the collar and hit it with a rubber mallet. Nothing. Then I just used a huge C-clamp and all it did was bend the C-clamp (no easy feat) using a cheater bar.

Any ideas? Do I have to try to get my rim into an oven just to get the bearings out? Will a heat gun do anything?

I'd also like a rundown on wheel bearing removal/installation because I had my wheels sandblasted with the stock bearings in them, knowing full well I'd end up replacing them. (I got a deal on the blasting services)

Does anyone have a step-by-step? Pleeeeeease? :)

Logan

fronts are easy. Remove grease seals and speedo drive ring. Shift center piece out of the way inside the wheel. Use a long punch and tap one out from the inside. Then tap the other out from the inside. To install the new ones, use a socket of the same diamet as the outside race, and pound them in. Don't forget that middle piece between the two.

I don't remember them being terribly difficult when I replaced them last year. It helps to have one of those seal-puller tools and a few brass rods to beat on them with.

I bought a set of seal punches(lots of flat discs) to drive the new ones in.

It doesn't hurt to coat the grooves with PB Blaster and heat around the bearing races with a torch to expand the seat some.

After 36 years and infrequent grease packings mine were definitely due.

I sprayed it down with some liquid wrench, but that stuff isn't great. After some quick research online, it seems like PB Blaster is better, and Kroil is even better than PB, but you can't find Kroil anywhere.

I'll get some PB Blaster tomorrow at Walmart and then go to town with it and a heat gun. I don't want to take a torch my purty wheel hub. Will a heat gun do the job?

Followed inxs how to had the front and back out in 3 mins. Use a ball peen or a 3 lb sledge to hit the socket. Rubber absorbs

Posted via Mobile

I'll grab some ear plugs and try the bigger hammer. The little collar will move back and forth inside the sprocket side bearing now, so I can get the center spacer to move to the side. I've been trying to get the sprocket side bearing out now, because the brake side just isn't budging, even after heating the hub with a heat gun and liberal use of PB blaster. I'll try it some more with a heavier hammer.

Got 'em! It took some serious poundage with a metal hammer, but they came out. The collar is pretty beat up, but I think it's still usable. Thanks for the advice guys!

The easy way is to get a "blind hole bearing puller" But they are kinda expensive. If your close, bring it by and we can get them out in a minute.

Back