source for pickup

If your pickup has tested dead, it would pay to strip a bit of wire above the connector, and test there, because a crimp at the connector could be bad instead of the pickup. I got a pickup for a spare by buying a stator on ebay. You can sometimes get one at a reasonable price, since nobody wants them. I think mine was $35 but I didn't have to have one right now.

The pick up is tested with it unplugged, set meter to ohms there are three wires black gray orange. there should be about 600 ohms between the black and orange and between black and gray. a magnet passed over the pick up should show a slight deflection of the needle or ohms reading.

Gotta admit the Jethro was intentional, if you just throw parts at a problem without testing you are not being smart about it. IE acting like a "Jethro". Sorry but that's the truth. TESTING is the ONLY way to fix electrical. It's not that hard to test the XS650 TCI setup and the end of the testing is if everything else is good the TCI is bad. Get or download the factory manual, do (or con a buddy who knows electrical a little to do) the tests. "to measure is to know" I have seen a broken lead between the pickup and the plug a few times the fix was a little solder and heat shrink. to know is priceless.

Skull, the "Did I mention....." thing was more for giggles as I had beat "dead" to death in the previous paragraph.. It was not annoyance at you.
Clymer's and Haynes both just mention the ohm test. I will try the magnet with the meter. Thanks

GGGary , as is now known I was running down the list (much thanks to who ever brought up the other post ) and I agree with you about throwing parts at a problem. I work for Advance Auto and EVERY day tell folks the same thing.

So what are the results of the tests? Really we want to help.
You know.... I buy and sell used XS parts but I would MUCH rather help a guy figure out the problem than sell him "it might be this": parts. If I let a part go I want to know it is going to fix the problem, not just end up in the "box of parts" that goes along when a dead bike is sold off.

The pickup is a simple device that generates AC voltage for the signal. Just like a crank sensor on newer cars. But most of those are 2 wire. When passing the magnet over the end, set your meter to AC volts, and the faster you pass the magnet by the end, the more voltage you will get. That is the problem with them, they short out through the case to the stater. PHeller posted that he has one, give him a PM.

BTW, Star does have one in stock, for $135.

Gordon, I should have hit you up first. Thank you. I have bookmarked Star. Have not had a chance to work the magnet test yet. (Bloody retail). Monday morning early I'll try it and see if I can learn anything.

Gordon you mentioned shorting out to the stator. "shorting" to me implies unwanted metal to metal contactDoes this part short in another way, as I can see nothing that would indicate this possibility????? also, been trying to figure out how the pickup fails. Is this short the answer??

Yes, thats what happens, it shorts itself inside the wrapping. Thats why an ohm test can help diagnose a bad one, but not all the time. The case could have a hairline crack that is not visible to your eye. So the voltage generated will go through the crack instead of to the processor( little black box). The ohm test will tell your if the windings are compromised in any way, by either an open circut or closed one. Too much resistance, or not enough. I don't have a spec as to what the resistance should be, GGG gary posted a spec of 600 ohm's, sounds about right.

The failed ones I have seen have been "open circuit" but I am sure there are "shorted to ground" failures too. the 600 is off the top of my head but if you are in that area they are fine.

Gordon, just got off the phone with Star. Erica said , the 1 is for number of this part used on a bike. None have been made since '96 and none are available for sale.

Thanks very much anyway, we tried.

opened it all up again. tested again at connector and at pickup with ohmmeter. dead
tried the magnet, digital readout didn't even blink.
thanks to all.....

If you're game, I have repaired small open coils on various things with careful soldering and a high-powered magnifier. Not saying I will do it, just that it can be done. The coil wire is probably open where the leads attach rather than down inside the coil.

Both sides are dead???? and what does dead mean? Something just doesn't seem right here yet....

gggGary, for the total doof that i am electrically , I kinda' felt the same way. Got to admit that I hit all wires in pairs not just the combos mentioned above, but with an analog meter and a new (cheapy ) digital I get nada, zip, zilch for either test. Ohms or ac current as also mentioned. scraped alittle insul at the coil and tested at the coil as well as at the connector

xjm.. i admit to looking at the case today wordering if it would be doable. Am more concerned with sealing the coil case up afterward.

jetero, send a private message to PHeller, he has a stater with the pickup on. He said he is willing to let it go reasonably. Or you could do the Pamco conversion. The stater would probably be cheaper.

I do have 1 coming , thanks all. Going to take a look at the repair though. None made since '96 seems like IF it's doable it might help some others later on and give me spare.
Will take pics and notes.

Back