Special Battery Box - late v. early

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Partzilla says all Special battery boxes are the same.
Pictured are battery boxes from a ‘79 and ‘83 Special.

IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_3080.jpeg

I imagine they are the same size physically and mount the same, but they will differ on the sides and bottom because different things mount to them.

I imagine they are the same size physically and mount the same, but they will differ on the sides and bottom because different things mount to them.
I do believe that’s right. I put the 83 box in the 79 frame and test fit everything including plastic air boxes and metal side covers.

I apologize in advance if I sound a little testy, but for at least the dozenth time, I don't understand why anyone wastes their time trying to verify part numbers or compatibility using Partzilla.

If you want a parts manual that is remotely reliable, use biker.net instead, here:
http://biker.net/650parts_index.html

If you use biker.net to compare the 78 nd 79 Specials to the 80-81 models you will find that the battery boxes have different part numbers, and the 1983 battery box has a part number that is different once again.

Euro US Custom 79 has BS34's with plastic airbox, points ignition, with the related seperate Regulator and Rectifier in the same place on the battery box's US points model Specials.

As does the Oceania 80 SG.

Euro US Custom as metal side-covers. Oceania 80SG has plastic side covers...,.More mix and match

Back