Sprockets??

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need to get new spockets and a chain, when i was looking they have the oem 17/34 tooth set, but i was curious as to what would change if i went to a higher rear sprocket like a 44t or 46t, also if i do go with one of those sprockets should i get a bigger of smaller sprocket for the front one??:confused: also if i got bigger sprockets whould my bike sound nicer or louder?

It all depends on what you want the bike to do. If you put a 44 tooth rear on, it would pull stumps well and yank the front tire up nicely. But you'd hate it at 60 mph. If you want a nice cruiser, you'd probably want a smaller rear sprocket, like a 30 or 32. Nice cruising gear. It's like putting a set of 4.56 gears in your Mustang 5.0. Quarter of a mile quick, but sucks on the highway. You follow?

with a 44 could you even hit 60mph without blowing gaskets? haha. big rear sprockets look really good though, i wish we could run 40 something teeth on these bikes

I put a back end on mine with about a 44 tooth sprocket on it once, all it did was rev like mad and in the end killed the engine.

If you want quick acceleration from the stop light to impress everyone, use a 36 rear sprocket.............but its not so good for the expressway. If you want to cruise with lower rpm on the expressway then use a 30 on the rear, but acceleration will suffer.

A 17/33 gearing is a good compromise.

one tooth change in the fron is equal to 3 teeth in the back. The best compromise for pick up and cruise is stock 17/34. I like 17/30. It willnever be a wheelie machine.

one tooth change in the fron is equal to 3 teeth in the back. The best compromise for pick up and cruise is stock 17/34. I like 17/30. It willnever be a wheelie machine.
I agree. The 17-30 setup works great for me as well. I think it takes advantage of the 650's torque nicely. Oh, my bike is nothing like gents. Mine is a hard tail.

17/33 tooth is the stock sprocket on european bikes, and that's what I use. The bike still has plenty of pickup, and it's smoother at 60.

I've been running 17/30 for a while, did some changeout with my rims and noticed the 30T rear sprocket was going, so....time for a new chain, front and rear sprocket. I have a 32 T rear that I threw on just to be able to commute another day and be able to get the chain. GAAAA!!! Horrid after running the 17/30 combo.
This evening, put the new chain, 18 front and 32 rear sprockets on. Back in the zone.

Change the back sprocket size, not the front sprocket. That front sprocket size is optimum for 530 chain radius and the design of the case and cover. Others will have opinions on the best rear sprocket mod.

Scott

I run 17Tx32T 520 chain. I have run 17Tx30Tx520 and it was great for flat slab running. I've running even 17Tx28T. I think that 17Tx30T is optimum for your needs. Drops revs about 1000 rpm at highway speeds

Thanks I'm about 190, I'm waiting on a 30T I wanna ride my bike into Tijuana from Santa Ana hope to cruise freeway not feel like I'm redlining

Back