Stalling at Speed XS650F

MTTRACE

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
It starts and idles fine but yesterday I got it up to speed and it powers down as though it either ran out of gas or the ignition has been turned off. It will start right back up once I come to a stop, put it in neutral and kick it again. I can let is sit and idle and it will stay running.

Stator, ignition, Vacuum petcock issue?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- welcome mttrace...the cap, has a small venting hole in it-it can get blocked sometimes, you may hear it hissing

It starts and idles fine but yesterday I got it up to speed and it powers down as though it either ran out of gas or the ignition has been turned off. It will start right back up once I come to a stop, put it in neutral and kick it again. I can let is sit and idle and it will stay running.

Stator, ignition, Vacuum petcock issue?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My 78SE had similar symptoms. Sometimes it would restart easily, other times it would only restart if I was not sitting on the seat. Quite a mystery. Found bad connection at the 10 amp ignition fuse. I replaced all the fuses with automotive blade fuses - no more problems.

what speed? like taking off from your drive way up to 30mph? does it have plenty of power during its acceleration?
Could this be a float level problem?

This happened to a fellow XSer on that bike it came down that the vacuum petcock was not getting enough vacuum during high speed uphill runs and it shut off the gas!

you know this is happening to me and i found none of these people were right. for me it was never figured out until i wasted a bunch of money on cleaning carbs, new coil, new filters, multiple oil changes, multiple fuel changes, cleaning the tank, new plugs and wires, cleaned petcock, changed fuses, disconnected cleaned and reconnected every single wire harness, adjusted timing, adjusted cam chain tension, checked compression, checked volts and resistances, and finally just giving up and riding it.

turns out my TCI was on the fritz and now my bike is little more than a 600 pound paperweight that takes up space in my garage. so if your bike is TCI like mine then try everything that i did and then give up.

also like i did.

anysnail, some have reported good luck with resoldering the board of the TCI.
And there is a replacement for the little transistor(sp?).
I think the article was lost off 650rider when Russo changed the way the board looked once. Also lost was an excellent thread about electrolosis.

I had this problem after installing an inline fuel filter. After trying several different types, ive just hexed the filter all together. After stalling out in the middle of the projects at 10PM I decided it was better for me and the bike to just run straight from the tank.

Back