Starter solenoid alternatives

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a part number for a Napa or auto lite or some other brand of suitable solenoid for our 81? Don’t want to wait to get one from mikes or The like!

Pretty much any motorcycle starter solenoid will work. Car solenoids tend to get pretty big n heavy.
FleaBay always has nice little solenoids with a couple fuses if you are custom wiring.

I got one off eBay for like $10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-So...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
3DA2AD48-0186-4C1A-B2EB-13B7DBE18D62.jpeg

You real sure it's the solenoid? I've found a bad one or two but it's pretty rare.

You real sure it's the solenoid? I've found a bad one or two but it's pretty rare.
not having an issue other than I threw away nearly all the electrics/wiring on mine as I am chopping it. Only thing Im forced to trust is the TCI, everything else will be all new.

Im chopping so this will be just right. Of course the real trick is trying to hide all this stuff on the TCI models.....:rolleyes:
You can see the (Gonzo) TCI module on the right there inside my "oil tank" I'm running a 3 position w/momentary key switch so no need for a starter button. the only things not in my "oil tank" are the reg/rec witch are mounted on the inside side of my battery box for cooling.
CAB8813E-F457-4444-AA2A-6C113F0542E8.jpeg
0DB4E9B0-3F2C-4E4F-8350-87444D1176DD.jpeg

gonzo..... at least have one as a spare.
Word to the wise never ever arc weld when the TCI is on the bike. ruining a TCI by doing that is a bit TOO popular.

You can see the (Gonzo) TCI module on the right there inside my "oil tank" I'm running a 3 position w/momentary key switch so no need for a starter button. the only things not in my "oil tank" are the reg/rec witch are mounted on the inside side of my battery box for cooling.View attachment 205048View attachment 205049
Nice!
im using the round oil bag route. Probably key switch, solenoid and fuse box in there. Currently planning tci on side of battery box. Considering where Yamaha put it originally it’s got to be a better location. Reg/rec going in stock location with coil above between carb. Cutting big hole in bottom of oil bag and all connections will be in there.

Long as you isolate as much as possible from vibration. Why factory put it where they did.
All those separate components are suseptable to shaking loose.
1641934264892.png

Why electronics were hung from the battery box, rubber mounts and big ole battery act together to slow the paint shaker action.
It's like there were :unsure: engineers involved.........

I threw away nearly all the electrics/wiring on mine as I am chopping it.
People will pay good money on ebay for some of the stuff you might be throwing away, plus get to extend life of their bikes. Chopped bikes is the source of a lot of parts there I think.

Correct, that’s why I have a panel mount glass buss fuse holder mounted as well.
FD3B70B9-F162-4998-AE9B-503ECC7A0747.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed that. I’ll have a big fat 30amp fuse separate as the main.

The main should be 20 amp. 30 amp may be too big and not pop soon enough before damage is done.

Back