Sticky shifter, again and again ........

Member267

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I asked this before and got an answer that didn't help a thing, cleaning parts and playing with springs didn't help. So I am bout to go into the motor. The thing still sticks first time thru the gears after start up, but, now it sticks worse and sometimes it'll stick in the middle of a trip. It sticks in the upward position on the 2nd to 3rd shift, and sometimes it don't want to let go. Last time it stuck in the upward position an hour into a trip and stuck bad enough to make me grab the clutch and coast to a stop and start stomping to get the shifter to let go. Figured if I stomped and it broke, least I would probably have found the problem. Then it worked fine the rest of the day.:confused:

Any one have any ideas as to what to look at in the trans ??

Thanks

John

( Sometimes I miss that Chinese scooter !! )

Last edited:
Is the shift shaft bent?
On the inside behind the clutch is a spring that is adjustable to center the teeth on the arm as it sets on the end of the shift drum. Is this arm centered? In the Clymer book page 80 tells how to adjust the spring.
I think these are the two most probable sources of a sticky shifter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the shaft's bent now that you've been stomping on it, lol.

Back