Stock rake

JDS1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the standard rake on the xs650 is 27 degrees, is this the case? I have a 73 xs650 with a TC hardtail. How much would I have to increase the rake to run the stock front end without modifying it? Four degrees? I was just trying to get a little longer footprint.

Thanks

You can run the stock front end without modifying the neck with a TC hardtail. With the frame change, the angle of the neck goes to about 33-35 degrees, depending on tire sizes.

Tech7,
I heard somewhere "...if you stretch the back, you have to stretch the front..."
Sounds logical, if you're looking for asthetic balance. Otherwise, it starts to look like a hillclimber. What is it about the TC Bros. hardtail that alters the neck angle to 33-35* ?
I'm thinking about doing a Monster Craftsman Brat kit with approx. 4" stretch to the swingarm. By my calculations, it would require about 33* of rake to balance it out. Does this just happen, as a function of the rear stretch? Do I need extended forks?
If I can make this work, there's going to be some funky suspension geometry going on... And I almost flunked geometry.

With the TC tail, the way it goes on it tilts the engine loop back, creating more rake. I'm not sure where the logic comes from that you need to stretch the front the same as you do the rear, but I would say you need to do what you think looks good. I've seen some bikes with a 6 inch stretch that would look weird if they'd went that much out the front too... There is no definite way you're suppose to do it, just make it look right.

Dipping the frame to slacken your head tube angle will lower you foot peg clearance. It also affects the trail numbers making your steering lazy.

IMO- adding a handrail is a poor idea. You spend almost as much as a well made frame and you end up with goofy junk. Again IMO.

Send your head tube to a builder and $800 later you'll have a well designed frame. Or build the frame from scratch. If you can weld on a hardtail than you can build a frame from scratch.

I'm so damn tired of seeing weld on hardtail kits I'll build you a frame myself.

Back