Stoopid Question ...............

Member267

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious about something. I know my XS is 35 years old, leaks oil and aint real pretty. However, it starts each and every time, gets fair gas mileage ( about 50 -51 ) and seems rock steady and dependable. Ran it all over the place, into several states and back and forth to work. Why is it that everyone who I know, who has an XS650 always seem to need a newer bike " for longer trips " as a friend explained it to me. He says I'm stoopid for using my XS as an interstate tourer, commuter and just get out outa the house bike. I sold the other bikes, never rode them.

AM I stupid for not being 10 or 15 thousand in debt for a newer bike, when this bike does what I want and need ????:confused::confused:

Thanks for any input

John

Last edited:
Stoopid questions are my strong point. No you are not stupid but.... I bought an XS750 triple to keep the 650 company and it is so much more bike. For Sunday, look at me times the 650 is the shits but for riding down the interstate and in day to day traffic the 750's power and brakes make it much more suited.

because for long distance with alot of luggage which = weight and the fantastic brakes :doh: The bike is awful for any busy interstate travel. My Ducati Gt1000 had around 90HP with 80ft lbs, simplicity of being aircooled a nice set of soft saddles with more than enough power for anything. and a good set of brembo 2 pot dual discs up front it could still stop quick with all that weight. No way would i have ever even considered taking my xs where i took that. It's bad enough i'm even considering taking the KLR 650 i have...but atlest it's newer and the engine is counter balanced and water cooled.

I have feeling most of you who have never ridden anything modern would fall in love very quick. It's amazing what 30+ years of technology is capable of in terms of HP and braking.

Hell my 999 superbike is one finger brake pulls to come to a stop very very quickly. dual 320mm 4 piston Brembos. :D

If it fits what you need it for, great. But for some of the long distance i enjoy....not even
remotely close.

I have a bike for everything....

The 74 TX650 for my sunday rides and the odd commute through the city...

2004 Ducati 999 Monoposto for getting fucking rediculous in what little corners are in this place and having some fun on the straights

My 93 klr650 for dual sporting, some comfortable short trips, and comfy long trips.

I hope to eventually add a Kawaski Versys to the garage to replace the KLR for the longer trips. (although i will keep the KLR.)

And more old skool UJM's like another SOHC 4 honda etc.

I have used my 250 NSU for traveling all over California. I could ride on the freeway all day at 65 without problems. The same is said for my Honda CB350. Sure it vibrated for me that is good it reminds me that I am riding a motorcycle and a very inexpensive motorcycle. If I wanted comfort I would have stayed home on the sofa. If your xs 650 is well tuned you can ride it all over these states. It is a fine one up tourer. Tony C

CDNTX 650 I too rode KLR's 2002 and 2006. I have ridden from Bakersfield, CA to San Felipe Baja California MX without problems. A fun trip. It did take some time to get used to the seat but after that I put over 1000 miles in the saddle in one day. Tony C

I hada gt550 two stroke, that was my only bike for 2 years. It was totally cafe'd out with flat bars, rear sets, and a solo fiberglass seat. I htough that is sucked as an all day tourer, so i sold it, and bought a CB1100F. I rode that bike home from Toledo Oh. to lansing MI, 117 miles. Now mind you, My GT would never do 135 mph, but my ass was sore, just the same after an hour and a half on the honda, as the GT. Take from that what you will, but comfort is only as good as your seat and riding position. Either way, ride whateveryou have Like you own it!!! And like you can fix it!!!
Kris

If I wanted comfort I would have stayed home on the sofa.

I found the website of a guy who went from Florida to Costa Rica on a Yamaha SR250. He could have taken an airplane instead :)

I think a lot of it depends on your attitude about riding. I've never ridden a bagger and I never will. It defeats the purpose of riding a motorcycle. I can't imagine putting a windshield on a scoot either. What's the fucking point? Isn't riding a bike about having the wind in your face? Cruising the roads without all the collective shit we all seem to need so much? I like bugs in the face, getting rained on, without handwarmers or AC or an uber-sweet stereo system. The gritty shit that tests my endurance is all part of the obsession for me.

The longest/fastest trip I ever made was from Portland, OR to Watertown, NY, about 2800 miles in 52 hours. That was on a '78 GS1000. Oh, I also picked up 3 tickets, a nice cube of hash and a hitchhiker... Tell your friend he's a candy-ass. :D

If you are tough enough to long distance ride an XS650 and enjoy it that is the right answer for you. I think I am done having to prove I am tough and can afford a more comfy bike so I have one and ride it. But yup style makes a difference too, ride what suits you and keep an open mind, needs and wants change over time and sometimes just different is what you (I) want.

Ride what you like. There are bikes that are more suited to going down the highway at a smooth fast pace, but you don't have to spend 15K. There's a ton of good bikes for $5K or less. I have a Kaw ZRX1100, you can buy them for $3-4000. Honda VFR Interceptors are nice-all the jap bikes are affordable if they're a few years old. Stone reliable, throw a couple of soft bags on if you need.

If your xs does it for you, ride on. :) I've got several myself.

John

Gary and Hook I agree with both of you. A person should ride what fits him. If you are not over exceeding the bikes limits and your own you will be fine own that bike. I do not think it is a Macho thing. I also owned a BMW which liked. And again it is a personal choice. Thanks TC

Back