street tracker conversion

Josh42

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to actual motorcycles. I've build motorized bikes and go karts and the like so I'm familiar with small engines and riding a "motorcycle" (even if it's just a little baby) but still new to motorcycles. I'm looking into buying one and have pretty much settled on a street tracker version of an xs 650. Basically this bike exactly would be ideal. https://www.google.com/search?q=xs+...AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=918#imgrc=-uDBFPMDUUGYtM:

However that specific one is very expensive and I am but a poor college student. So, starting from a stock bike what am I looking at to make it look close to the one pictured above? Or at least that sort of style. Just a price for the conversion would be appreciated as well as what would actually be involved if you've got the time. Starting from say, something like this: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1980-Yamaha-XS650-5000260499

Thanks!

Yeah that's why I said something similar. That ones a custom that you can't even buy. I'm just looking for something similar in form and feel. Not even worried about the color or anything atm.

I started with a $100 bike. I'm a machinist and have made many of my own parts, including the tube bender I made the rear hoop with. Some parts I already had stashed, and I'm not nearly done yet. But just what I have bought since starting the build I'm close to $2k, wheels were $1100, forks $250, bike $100, rotors $75 etc. I figure I'll probably be between 3 and 4k to be on the road, with minimal engine work more if I rebuild.

Attachments

• tmp_12196-20170930_153357344533096.jpg
    tmp_12196-20170930_153357344533096.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 235
First, find one that runs and charges. I think there is a sticky in the tech section. Alot of voltohm meter testing is found under barn finds.
Second, ride it.
Third, dont drink the magneto koolaid. If the charging ign system half way works, the repairs to make it %100 is far cheaper and easier than a mag swap and diagnostics.
Fourth,start collecting parts. Just run the stock front end, convert dual disks, fork brace. Or keep front fender. Ive been whittleing a cafe from a 1980. Not high on the list so its a slow go
That bike you linked to has a custom front end. If you get a later year xs, the forks respond well to mods. Cheap ones too. Fresh fork oil, one extra oz of fork oil. Progressive springs. Sure, usd forks are sweet mod, but if you dont have access to a machine shop with a buddy on the inside to do a stem swap, keep the stock trees.

What would be involved? A lot. The bike you posted a pic of is a full custom build. Looks like it has the front end from a sport bike like an R1 or similar. Think: Strip it to the frame, powdercoat, strip the wheels, powdercoat etc. Re-wire the bike, figure out a battery / charging solution. Tires, maybe tubes, chain, sprockets, brake lines, seat, controls, battery, charging system etc. I'm seeing the $ signs at this point.

I think we need to all agree on the definition of "poor college student". When I was a poor college student I didn't have $3,200 to spend on a starter and then several thousand to toss on top of it.

I would recommend you buy a bike (not the one posted) and ride it as-is for a while until you get to know the bike. Learn how to do the maintenance stuff and THEN get into modifications. By then - there's a chance your taste will have changed and you'll want to do something different than today.

I would agree with the above sentiments. Find a bike that runs or you can get to run (reliably) for cheap. Learn to ride it well. Do some mandatory upgrades for reliability (oil screen, better braking, some suspension tweaks, etc.) and then start building up the parts your want.

For a tracker, you almost have to have a 19" rear wheel, so you'll be on the hunt for a good front wheel and then you'll need a conversion kit. These alone are well north of $300.
You can use the stock forks up update the internals to make them handle MUCH better, $300ish. Rear shocks that are worth a hoot: $300ish.
Tracker seat like that one: $250.
EX carbs & jets: $200? (Depends on ebay or forum members)

Then you add up lots of other things to get kind of close to that look, and you're at well north of $2k just in parts. This is all assuming that you have no major mechanical issues (hence the "find a good, reliable runner first mantra). Cool bikes cost money, how cool do you wanna be??

Your much better off to buy a tracker that only needs to have a few changes made to your liking. They`re out there and cheap compared to building one from scratch. Get one with the right wheels, 750 kit, Mikuni`s correct seat & tank, electric ignition, charging system etc etc. I keep a file on everything I build, right down to the last nut & bolt and the cost is staggering! Here is a example on eBait right now that is open for a offer. You can not build this type of bike for what he`s asking. Good luck with your search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Yamaha-XS-/202076632833?hash=item2f0cb4b701:g:LHsAAOSw6ShZU8G8&vxp=mtr

I'll add this too, unless you already have all the tools needed you'll probably add a few hundred to thousands to what you'll spend. This depends on brand and what tools you need. Yes you'll have them forever, but they cost, which adds to how long it'll take to build.

Welcome to the site, Josh42. It may appear that there are wet blankets being thrown all over you, but the intent, if I may be so bold, is to advise you away from the big errors that many of us have made. First, is this hobby worth taking time off of your studies which should have all of your attention at this time?
Second, do you want to wrench or have reliable transportation? If you want a bike to go to college and you have never had a road bike, get a late model Honda 125 or 250. If it is an issue in your jurisdiction, what will it cost to insure any bike for you as a first time rider.

gggGary, the Sage of Barraboo, has often offered one of the wisest things I have ever seen written on the subject of motorcycle rehabilitation: "The only thing more expensive than a cheap bike is a free bike."

Josh, if you're new to motorcycles and hold a thin wallet, you can buy a newer, very reliable bike for far less money than you'll have to spend on an old bike that will also cost a lot of time. It's a buyer's market in the bike trade right now. I recently saw a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja twin in great shape with 15K miles on it offered for $2495--by a Kawi dealer. (A 2006 model of that bike shares the barn with my XS650D, and I can tell you that it's one very sweet and very reliable ride.) And there's good stuff out there for less. If you inform yourself, look around, and have your cash ready, you'll be able to find a great starter bike for a lot less that the cost of buying and refurbing an old bike that "just needs [fill in the blanks]."

Well I will toss in my 2 cents also.......being this is my first post on here and I was also new to bikes this year. I picked up a basket case XS400 and well about 2K into it in parts......I have a bike my wife loves......so I picked up an XS1100 and now on the search for a decent 650 project.......

One thing I learned is you don't need all the bells and whist but they are nice.......I have a few motogadget items on it and it sure was nice re wiring the bike.

I say go for it if you have the time as it can take a while to get it where you want. I don't even know how much time I have invested but hey its relaxing for me to wrench on them and I love y garage/ beer drinking time :thumbsup:

That one in the link to eBay is a great deal compared to what that guy probably spent.

I say go for it if you have the time as it can take a while to get it where you want. I don't even know how much time I have invested but hey its relaxing for me to wrench on them and I love y garage/ beer drinking time :thumbsup:

That is the part I have tried to explain to a few co-workers and have somehow been unable to explain the appeal.

I do work in an office environment and am in the minority when I come in on Mondays with cuts and scrapes from wrenching on a bike as old as me.

I'm brand new to actual motorcycles. I've build motorized bikes and go karts and the like so I'm familiar with small engines and riding a "motorcycle" (even if it's just a little baby) but still new to motorcycles. I'm looking into buying one and have pretty much settled on a street tracker version of an xs 650. Basically this bike exactly would be ideal. https://www.google.com/search?q=xs+...AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=918#imgrc=-uDBFPMDUUGYtM:
However that specific one is very expensive and I am but a poor college student. So, starting from a stock bike what am I looking at to make it look close to the one pictured above? Or at least that sort of style. Just a price for the conversion would be appreciated as well as what would actually be involved if you've got the time. Starting from say, something like this: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1980-Yamaha-XS650-5000260499
Thanks!

Hi Josh,
"you can't get there from here" or at least, a poor college student can't get there directly.
OK, you already have the tools and skills and that's a good start. What you don't have is the time and the money.
What I'd advise is a multi-step process.
1) Buy a small capacity (125cc or 250cc) bargain price dual purpose bike to commute to college on.
2) Look for a total bargain XS650 and stash it until you graduate because if you don't you won't. BTDT.

Back