Tank Restoration

Rabbid

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just got my tank today wasnt really sure what to expect with it. Over all its not in terrible condition but it does need some love. It has two petcock threads but one was filled in with what appears to be brass. Minor rusting inside with only a couple visible pinholes.

1. What would be my best route to unplug the second petcock thread. I thought about drilling out as much of it as I could and see if I could retap it.

2. A bike shop in town told me that after cleaning up the inside to just use a sealer and it will take care of the pinholes. How effective would that be?

CIMG0117.jpg

CIMG0122.jpg

CIMG0121.jpg

Its be brazed. brazing is like soldering, no base metal has been melted. Therefore, all that has to be done is for it to be heated up and melt the brazing off. Of course some clean up and retapping is needed.

Maybe I'm too cautious but If i had to use the tank I'd like to see the rust holes brazed shut.

The tank sits low on the frame(high tunnel). If I only use one fuel will get stuck on half the tank. It looks like its sitting high on the frame in that picture but it actually sits lower in the front

Back