Sold / Found / Inactive - TCI/Gonzo Jumper Harness (pigtail)

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago a forum member asked me if I'd make him a pigtail for the TCI/Gonzo (GN250) box swap. I used my last 6 pin connector making it, so when I reordered, I ordered 10 of 'em. So, I've made up 10 pigtails to offer to the forum.
The Suzuki GN250 ignition box (Gonzo) is a direct swap for Yamaha's TCI ignition box used on the '80 and newer XS650's. Do a forum search to learn all about it if you're not familiar.
Anyway.... the only thing not making it plug-n-play is the connector pin-outs are different. This pigtail rectifies that. Just disconnect the TCI box from the bikes harness, plug this pigtail in it's place and connect the gonzo box on the other end. Vroom Vroom...
For best performance you'll also need to check and adjust the timing, but for a side of the road, emergency repair, just plug it in and it'll get you home.
This pigtail is approx. 12.5" long. The wires are NOT color coded to correspond to the bike. They're just random colors I grabbed off the shelf at my auto parts store.
I installed each harness on my bike and verified they work just as they should. Keep in mind there's different gonzo boxes out there and they don't all use the same polarity on the two pickup leads. I pinned these to the box I have. I'll detail in comment #2 how to swap the 2 wires if yours wants a different polarity.

I waffled a lot on pricing before finally deciding these will be $18 delivered anywhere in the US. If you're outside the US, it's $12 plus shipping. All I use is Paypal. You can either PM me or send the money directly to:
airframedent@gmail.com
If you send it direct, leave a comment here for me to check my Paypal. The older I get, the more forgetful.....
Be sure and check the box saying you're "sending to a friend.... or Paypal will take a cut out of my end. Make sure Paypal passes your address along to me also.

I believe @DB90 has spoken for the first one?
So, 9 left.

1657744470067.png

Last edited:
If the pickup polarity is different on your gonzo box (some are), your bike will either not start or will pop wheeze and fart sumpin' fierce.
You'll need to swap the two wires. I've marked the connector that's the easiest to un-pin and swap the wires with two black dots. These are the blue and white wires.

Untitled.png

The one you recieve will also have the zip tie at that end just loosely fastened. Just tighten it up once you've got your pickup polarity sorted.

1657746180984.png

If you have a lock tool for these connectors, great. If not, a small common (jewelers) screwdriver will usually do the trick. Just push the lock tab (red arrow) in towards the pin itself and pull the wire out the back. If you flattened the lock tab, just use your screwdriver to bend it back out.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Jim, the TCI on my 81 finally crapped out when I was out and about, but I had the gonzo already installed as a spare, plugged in the gonzo and fired right back up. It locates well where the old RLU used to sit, in case anyone is interested. You mentioned adjusting the timing when using the gonzo. I couldn't find a post about how best to do that. Is it a matter of slotting the pickup and then setting it so that it is further advanced? Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Jim, the TCI on my 81 finally crapped out when I was out and about, but I had the gonzo already installed as a spare, plugged in the gonzo and fired right back up. It locates well where the old RLU used to sit, in case anyone is interested. You mentioned adjusting the timing when using the gonzo. I couldn't find a post about how best to do that. Is it a matter of slotting the pickup and then setting it so that it is further advanced? Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Proof of it's value as a "get you home" item.
Yes, I had to file the slot on mine to get timing close enough for normal use. Looking at the pickup as it sits in the engine, elongate the left side of the hole enough that a timing light will show about 35° at full advance. That bumps idle advance up to about 18° . Still easy to start with that much advance.
Just don't forget to retard back when you plug the TCI box back in or you might hole a piston on the highway.

Just want to say filing the slot is not necessary to use the Gonzo as a limp home mode.
Yes, it works just fine without retiming. If you're just a "bar hopper", you could run it forever as is. If you do some highway miles however, you'll want to retime it or your gas mileage may suffer.

Yes, it works just fine without retiming. If you're just a "bar hopper", you could run it forever as is. If you do some highway miles however, you'll want to retime it or your gas mileage may suffer.

Been riding it for several miles without the re-time. Get an occasional kick-back on start up, but it got me home when the TCI died.

Please jog my memory. My ‘83 has an 8 pin connector for the TCI, correct? That said, I need to go from 8 to 6.
Correct. 7 wires on an 8 pin connector. The extra wire is the sidestand kill signal.... White /Black I believe.

If there's any interest.....

Changing the bike and TCI box to the 6 pin setup is just a matter of un-pinning the 8 pin and plugging the wires into the 6 pin. I've got one TCI box where I did exactly that. Changing the bike harness end would also be easily doable.
If there's any interest, I'll throw in an extra 6 pin connector for bike/box conversion.
$20.
Of course, I'll need to order more connectors.... :shrug:

Back