The Annual Gentleman's express bike has arrived

93 was the last year for the FJ1200..I owned an '86 and a '90..They typically had vibes thru the handlebars at hwy cruising speeds..rectified in the '91 or '92 when they improved the dampening the engine mounts..so you've got a great machine...definitely take it easy on 2nd gear..they're prone to the same issues the XS1100s and XJ1100s had.

Last edited:
Had it out a for a couple nice rides. seat peg distance is pretty short for the tall (and old) guy.
Take an Ibuprofen and see you come evening ;^)
I'm 5'8", so never a problem for me. :laugh2:

But that engine....it could get away with a three-speed gearbox. Get in top gear and leave 'er there.

I'm 5'8", so never a problem for me. :laugh2:

But that engine....it could get away with a three-speed gearbox. Get in top gear and leave 'er there.
Need to look into the anti vibe mounts.
S'posed to be super good AND need R&R from lack of lube.

bbbBye Feejer.
Took it out for 20 miles last night. They're great but not my thing. By the time it's hustling the speed limit can't even be seen in the rear view mirrors.

KIMG3728.JPG

Allison tried to convince him; free horse with every motorcycle purchase...
KIMG3727.JPG
Almost had a taker.

bbbBye Feejer.
Took it out for 20 miles last night. They're great but not my thing. By the time it's hustling the speed limit can't even be seen in the rear view mirrors.

View attachment 243944

Allison tried to convince him; free horse with every motorcycle purchase...
View attachment 243943
Almost had a taker.

Well that was supposed to be your summer scooter, so………what now? 🤔

Well that was supposed to be your summer scooter, so………what now? 🤔
Guess I'll just have to suffer.
from ad.jpg
Through another season of riding this, the baby bimmer currently on the lift and, you know, the odd XS650 or three, or mebby revive a Norton, Mailman c'mon up, we'll get that ole right leg into powerful condition.
Bike poverty, it's a thing.

Guess I'll just have to suffer.
View attachment 243954
Through another season of riding this, the baby bimmer currently on the lift and, you know, the odd XS650 or three, or mebby revive a Norton, Mailman c'mon up, we'll get that ole right leg into powerful condition.
Bike poverty, it's a thing.

I was gonna ask you if you still had a Norton or not, I can’t keep up! 😄

bbbBye Feejer.
Took it out for 20 miles last night. They're great but not my thing.
Thanks for motivating me to drag mine out of the dungeon and get it back into rotation, it's been a while.
They are my thing. :laugh:

Last edited:
I've always SWORN no Honda V4's for that very reason. Then a guy stopped and said I'll GIVE you my nice titled bike! yup it was a Magna 750. :cautious:
had to split the carbs to replace the fuel connectors the 2nd time I took them out, so I feel your pain.
View attachment 240851
Sure was a nice bike AFTER That.
View attachment 240850
May have had a brief discussion on this before but how horrific is it to re/re carbs an a 750 Magna. Ive been eyeballing a few bikes locally and have read that the common reported issues are carb related. I like the look of these bikes and performance seems impressive. Prices are reasonable too. Maybe a winter project?

First order up a large load of patience. My limited experience is the carbs ARE a pita. Hard to get out worse to get back in. The fuel tees between the carbs leak and it's a real thrash to get the carbs off their mounting/alignment plate and apart to change or fix the fuel connections then get everything back together and synched. They are great bikes once sorted. Also beware the gas tanks they tend to rust out at the back bottom seam.

First order up a large load of patience. My limited experience is the carbs ARE a pita. Hard to get out worse to get back in. The fuel tees between the carbs leak and it's a real thrash to get the carbs off their mounting/alignment plate and apart to change or fix the fuel connections then get everything back together and synched. They are great bikes once sorted. Also beware the gas tanks they tend to rust out at the back bottom seam.
Scaring me away already. 😳. Maybe I should look for something simpler to work on. Thx for your comments.

Looks like this years Gentleman's express showed up.
1694998015170.jpeg

The only motorcycle I ever bought new was a 1982 CB900F. This one might hang around a while.
Guy's dad also bought one new but sold it, so he found this fine example in 1987 and kept it, passed on to the son when dad passed. He had done some maint but it just wasn't his thing and it still needed more work done.
Put 15 miles on it tonight, just needs a normal round of maint., fork seals, brake pads, the tail light doesn't, tires are 20 years old, few other minor items, runs out good and when I asked, the guy had the factory airbox too! So into the van it went. I didn't see any bad work done anywhere. 15K miles showing which seems to match the bikes wear.
00h0h_cEceYHTssNq_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg00H0H_2JdkzzOSYQM_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
Like I tell @GLJ I'm dieting but I don't have to starve.

Looks like this years Gentleman's express showed up.
View attachment 251586
The only motorcycle I ever bought new was a 1982 CB900F. This one might hang around a while.
Guy's dad also bought one new but sold it, so he found this fine example in 1987 and kept it, passed on to the son when dad passed. He had done some maint but it just wasn't his thing and it still needed more work done.
Put 15 miles on it tonight, just needs a normal round of maint., fork seals, brake pads, the tail light doesn't, tires are 20 years old, few other minor items, runs out good and when I asked, the guy had the factory airbox too! So into the van it went. I didn't see any bad work done anywhere. 15K miles showing which seems to match the bikes wear.
View attachment 251587View attachment 251588
Like I tell @GLJ I'm dieting but I don't have to starve.
Where do you find all these great bikes?! Very nice.

Back