The Annual Gentleman's express bike has arrived

After an entirely too long multi day wrenchfest, the fuel system is pumping AND not leaking.. Sheesh!
View attachment 240815
Running good! 50 degrees but comfy enough in the sunshine. Today was prolly it for this week's riding weather, so back to slinging wrenches, a rear tire arrived today and that front needs to go too. Rear is an odd size 150/80/16 but found a Shinko verge that's speed rated. Front will get a Verge II
Um don't believe the ABS label......
and an oil change on the list.
View attachment 240818
Enjoy!And hang on.Looks great.👍

Um don't believe the ABS label......

Looks great Gary!
I’ve seen a lot of Craigslist ads that say the ABS doesn’t work, and I often wonder why. Is there a common cause of failure on older bikes? And is the repair difficult or cost prohibitive?
Signed curious in Arizona 🤔

Looks great Gary!
I’ve seen a lot of Craigslist ads that say the ABS doesn’t work, and I often wonder why. Is there a common cause of failure on older bikes? And is the repair difficult or cost prohibitive?
Signed curious in Arizona 🤔
Yeah dead ABS is pretty common. Sitting for a long time and or never using the ABS (romping on the brakes) will let valves stick closed. there's usually a complex bleeding flushing schedule that seldom gets done. The beemers are notorious for bad brushes in the ABS pump motor. This bike doesn't have any warnings flashing, 'cept as they are sposed to during the start up test, and they did light when I disconnected an ABS wire so someone didn't just remove them LOL. Did the old hard braking test and got both tires to slide (at different times)
This particular bike did a lot of sitting, 4,000 miles in 12 years, 25,000 total will have to research some more. The good news is the brakes work very well so no ABS is not a big deal. Shrug. I had to pull the pads and exercise the rear caliper, extend, clean, lube, retract the pistons a couple times each.
Think it's safe to assume all brake lines are factory original.

No ABS is a big deal on some of the K series (up to 2005?) they are servo (power) brake bikes, when the ABS shits the bed the brakes are minimal at best, you better have popeye wrists and you STILL won't be stopping in a hurry. Been riding the 2008 R1200GS with the ABS out and it's not an issue, it has great stopping. If it had been the 2006 it would have been a different story. I have a "bone yard fix" part" sitting here but the "open heart" surgery keeps getting put off.
I've been Utube U'd on the FJ ABS unit, stuck solenoids a common issue.

Great bikes! Over 100k trouble-free on mine. Go easy on the 1-2 shifts.

picture_php_pictureid_165703_b48ff30c20a43a326a9a4902c2cc255a450e9c29.jpg

Still chasing my tail on fuel system fix one thing another goes.
Damn I just got my yearly reminder of why inline fours are sucha pain indyass. Had to remove the airbox to get at the fuel line to carb rack connection :banghead: F-me! The good thing is the old fuel line split BEFORE I had everything back together.

You've never removed and replaced carbs on a Honda Sabre 1100 V4

Congratulations Mr G!
That scooter is far too fast for my reflexes!
Agree 600# makes for stable, but the frame looks like a superfeatherbed...ie highly stable.
I too have never had a 4 cylinder bike. But I have had >4 one-cylinder bikes!
Have fun Gary!

You've never removed and replaced carbs on a Honda Sabre 1100 V4
I've always SWORN no Honda V4's for that very reason. Then a guy stopped and said I'll GIVE you my nice titled bike! yup it was a Magna 750. :cautious:
had to split the carbs to replace the fuel connectors the 2nd time I took them out, so I feel your pain.
20200805_114426.jpg
Sure was a nice bike AFTER That.
20200813_124924.jpg

Last edited:
Annnnd baby's got new shoes.
KIMG3513.JPG

KIMG3515.JPG

KIMG3519.JPG

KIMG3518.JPG

KIMG3520.JPG

Have a chain and rear disk on order, but with the new skins, I felt better about bombing the corners on the way to town, mmm. Air hawk feels good too! Doesn't hurt that it increases seat to feet distance for daddy long legs.
Madness is on the lift for a general spiff up and see if she's Ozarks ready.

Last edited:
I have heard recommendations not to lean much in corners with new tires they need some distance before getting full grip.
better safe than sorry Smashing the bike and oneself

Annnnd baby's got new shoes.
Try experimenting with front tire pressure, I've found noticeable difference in feel just varying a couple of PSI.
Do you have radials? I've never tried them, but have heard they work well on the Beast.
Oh, one more thing, make sure your generator connections are clean. Mine got corroded and fried the generator. :redface: You don't want that to happen. Cha-friggen-ching! A leaking slave cylinder on the clutch is a problem child also.

Last edited:
Try experimenting with front tire pressure, I've found noticeable difference in feel just varying a couple of PSI.
Do you have radials? I've never tried them, but have heard they work well on the Beast.
Oh, one more thing, make sure your generator connections are clean. Mine got corroded and fried the generator. :redface: You don't want that to happen. Cha-friggen-ching! A leaking slave cylinder on the clutch is a problem child also.
yeah used Shinko Radial Verge rear and Radial Verge II front.
Thanks for the hint on the charging plug I'll check that. The bikes quite clean, always been inside, no corrosion.:geek:

My XS1100 fried that connector, but I caught it before it took out the stator. A friend of mine fried that connector on his XS1100 and someone replaced the connector for him. He put dielectric grease on it and the connector cooked out on the road. I got stuck with that roadside repair. Old GoldWings were bad about smoking that connector due to their location. My XS650SK has a new connector for the stator wires. I just happened to notice the white plastic had turned brown on one side. Good call!

Had it out a for a couple nice rides. seat peg distance is pretty short for the tall (and old) guy.
Been a few nibbles on an ad......
Did find an ABS exercise technique, seems like it works but still not sure.
Got a small oil leak after the change but finally won that battle.
Might put a couple hundred miles on it this week.
Take an Ibuprofen and see you come evening ;^)

Back