The long haul

Toast

Addict
Reaction score
Well, here it goes, another build thread!

I've loved these bikes for a long time, finally started looking for a project bike two years ago, then some health issues got in the way, and long story short, I am back and looking to fill a need to create. I have respectfully lurked around this and other forums (also been involved on the roadstarclinic), and have appreciated all the knowledge that has and continues to be shared. Anyways....

Here we have my 1981 XS650 Special II. Scored it on craigslist for an unbeatable price. Note: do your searches for "650 yamaha" instead of "XS650" yes you will have more crap to search through, but there are often some really great parts/bikes/etc hidden in there.

Clean, Running bike, with title, and all kinds of PO paperwork and service records, and a Saddleman trunk to boot (for sale, Shameless plug:shrug:). Time to have fun! The plan at present is to do a hardtail (Thinking an ardtail), springer seat, rephase from Hugh, and put anything other than a sportster tank on it and ride the piss out of it. :D

The thread is called the long haul because 1) Cash isn't free 2) my wife will kill me if I complete it in anything less than a year to a year and a half. She is looking to go back to school, and I need something that I can spend some time on while she is studying. As such, I need to drag it out a bit (not ideal but hey it works). Besides, nothing good comes quick or easy. I also know this is a much larger project than I have ever done in the past. I have typically kept to repair work, motor swaps, a few brat bikes in the past, as well as tricking out newer bikes, but a full on build is something I have never done. I figure if I am going to do this, I am going to take my time and do it right.

And now, with the forum, I can document the hell out of it!

So here we are at the beginning: below is a pic the PO took last fall, so you know where I am starting from.
The second pic is new years eve day when I picked it up. Holy crap: the transmission on my SUV went out the day before I had committed to drive 2.5 hours away to go get the thing, so in a pinch I borrowed my father-in-laws beater Buick....Bad idea. It made it, but it's a death trap. I almost torched the damn thing when I got home just so nobody else would ever drive it again.
Lastly you see pictures of work done to date. nothing fancy so far, just stripping stuff off.

Few notes so far:
1) I would love to meet the Yamaha engineer that thought putting the ignition control box under the battery was a good idea. :banghead:

2) When faced with a low build, and a back that has been thrown out more than a few times: get creative! Spare wood goes a long ways to build a lifted work table, and a cherry picker works AWESOME to move the thing around. And I put the whole thing on wheels so we always have a place to park in the garage (Minnesota winters can be brutal). Besides, who knew an XS dangling in mid air could look so cool.

Long story short, I hope you all enjoy the build as much as I will.
Toast (AKA Jason)

Attachments

• XS650 Pre1.jpg
    XS650 Pre1.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Ariving home 30DEC12.jpg
    Ariving home 30DEC12.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 220
  • In the AIR2 21JAN13.jpg
    In the AIR2 21JAN13.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 258
  • On the Lift5 21JAN13.jpg
    On the Lift5 21JAN13.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 303
Thanks John. Table was easy to build, and a $8 length of a rubber floor runner from Fleet Farm should keep it easy to clean. Never thought I would use a cherry picker to lift a motorcycle!

Hey Toast welcome aboard and look forward to your build, mine too is along the same time frames your are working with.

Looks of the shop this is not your first rodeo young man????

+1 on the electronics control box nonsense......not only that but the bolts on mine were so rusted I literally had to say screw it and break the damn thing a bit to get it out.

Well...the weather turned to S***. Rain, then freezing rain, then sleet, than snow. Streets have turned into an ice rink. So into the garage I go!

Spent a few hours this afternoon continuing to disassemble everything. The First picture shows tonight's progress. With the wheels gone it really does look rather odd, and is the first time I had the sense of "wow, I really am disassembling a perfectly good motorcycle"

The second picture, however, reassured me that this is the right thing to do.
the PO was riding around on these tires :eek:. I don't care if they do have tubes, flat out not safe.

The other fun surprise was removing the left case cover, and realizing that while the push-rod seal was replaced last year, it would appear that it failed again, or someone or failed to tighten the drive sprocket to spec. The good news is that there is no rust under the oily grime

Next up, the forks come off and we start having fun. I am needing to save a little more before I bite off the purchase of that ardtail, so the next month or so will be an exercise in patience and seeing what I can do in the meantime.

Part of the reason I have to wait to buy the ardtail is my other purchase, see in the third picture along with a spare motor I picked up (why not!).

Long story short, I knew that my little lincoln 100 wirefeed welder is NOT something that I am going to entrust my life with when welding a frame. Light duty welds ok, but nothing serious at all (like turning car parts into end tables and seats!). Besides, a new tool, is a new tool, and now I can expand welding off of just light steel. SO a new-to-me welder was in order! Been keeping an eye on CL for one, and found this little beaut. Hobart 175, with extra spools, and a cylinder full of C25 for a VERY good price. :D

Fun times are definitely ahead! Right after I snow blow the driveway in the morning....

Attachments

• 27JAN13 Welder and Motor.jpg
    27JAN13 Welder and Motor.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 27JAN13 PO S Wheels.jpg
    27JAN13 PO S Wheels.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 27JAN13 No Wheels.jpg
    27JAN13 No Wheels.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 168
Yeah, that tire looks like my front tire did when I got mine, scary.
Good to see you got a new to you welder.Looks to be in good condition.
Spare engine what's not to like?

Aight...So the forks are off. Ended up making my own spanner wrench to get the steering head nuts off...PITA...but I got my nuts off:D

One thing I noticed before I yanked it though was how craptastic the stock steering head bearings were. I know that y'all have said that they came busted and pre-F'ed up straight from the factory, but I honestly never expected a bike with 8000 miles on it to be THAT bad. :wtf: Felt like somebody threw sand in there just for texture, and the seals were not in that bad of shape

with that in mind, I went down to my local independent bike shop and grabbed a set of All Balls bearings.

On a positive note: If any of you in the mid-west EVER need ANYTHING for your bike, Please run down/Call Dr. Mudspringer in Fridley MN. Randy the owner has been a friend for years. Knowledgeable, friendly and fast., and runs a very nice one stop shop. Check him out at www.drmudspringer.com.:thumbsup: no seriously....go....now...I'll wait

On a more contemplative note, I think I have decided the order of business for this build.
1) Steering (why...cause I have it now and I am securing more funds for #2)
2) Hardtail
3) Bodywork (seat, fender, tank, exhaust)
4) Rephase and electrical upgrades

I'm thinking this order due to funds, and if I crap out for a whilst, I can always drop the stock engine back in and run it like a banshee. That way I can also pull the funds together for the rephase and electrical all in one push so that the motor isn't sitting apart collecting dust for months while I try to get my act together.
:shrug: I guess it will work

very cool! What is that lifter thing you have the bike resting on that goes right under the engine? I've seen them before but don't know what they're called and would like to get 1 or 2 for my lift table (not that I've knocked my bike off the center stand onto the ground or anything.... nooooo. ... that's NEVER happened).

LOL. hell, I've never forgot to put the sidestand down.

Sorry for the exceptionally late response sseres. I had to be in LA for business last week. Boy was the misses POed about that.

Its a motorcycle scissors jack...AKA Flat jack. best dang thing I have used (next to the cherry picker). I you can pick them up on Amazon for 70 beans, otherwise your local independent shop can likely find one too. Or, if your lucky like me, you can "temporarily relocate" one from a friends garage in exchange for helping him move three times in the last year. :D It will be a bummer to see it go!

Well. I was in LA last week for business....beautiful out there. 78, sunny, and the rental car company didn't have our car ready so we got a free upgrade to a new camaro convertible. :D SHWEEET!!! Sunburned my bald ass noggin too...in february....

anyways...seems like shit always breaks when I am gone. Nothing EVERY breaks when I am home, but the second I leave, the dog gets sick, The other dog eats a whole chicken, the dogs wrestling punches a hole in the sheetrock.....you get the idea...

Get a call from the misses on Valentines day saying the garage door won't work. Like I am going to fix it from 1500 miles away:wtf:. So I talk her through how to manually close the door (yes...I know) and get her calmed down only to get home and find the motor fried. Well, there goes a Sunday trying to find parts, realizing that it's just not worth it, and trying to talk my wife into NOT spending the money for my hardtail on a new one. Long story short...the cash is safe, and we got a new opener.

Back to polishing....

Eesh...few weeks since my last post. Work's gotten crazy busy so I spend a lot of time daydreaming about the garage and the XS in it. Oh well. This is why it's called the long haul :D

I have however managed to eek out some time for some fun with forks. Not the dinner kind.

Behold Picture 1: Old and busted (actually very busted after the saws-all was done with it)

And Picture 2: The new hotness (pic is of right side only)

Fork lowers sans a few fender mounts and some brake caliper mounts on the Left side. HaHA! I didn't/don't have access to lathe, and having them machined/polished just wasn't in the cards *ahem* I mean wallet. So I went off to the races with them with a file. Note to anybody interested in doing this: It's a PITA to do it by hand. It works, it is satisfying, but it is still a PITA. I figure I have about an hour into each lug that had to come off. Just so you know so you can clear your calendar.

Now to polish....

On a completely different note....I did secure the funds for an ardtail. Jon at Ardcore was very helpful, and in a short 4 weeks (lead time), + time to install, I'll be having myself a hardtail! updates guaranteed when it comes!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 3MAR13 Fork PRE.jpg
    3MAR13 Fork PRE.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 3MAR13 Fork POST.jpg
    3MAR13 Fork POST.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 143
IT CAME!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

One Ardcore Hardtail ready for install! It arrived on Tuesday, but couldn't get to the post office to pick it up until thursday.

Little longer wait than what I had been hoping for, but it was worth it. Jon was great, and the time they took they obviously turned out a great product.

It was great, the gals at the post office had never seen a seran wrapped half a motorcycle frame, and apparently they were all taking guesses on what it was.

on to the important stuff...

As far as I can tell with a straight edge ruler and my crooked ass eye, the thing looks straight as can be. Welds look beautiful:thumbsup:, and it gives me a lot of confidence in how the bike is going to turn out.

I'll document the install, but that will have to wait a week or two. I am finishing my masters right now, so between class, and a volunteer event with the Multiple Sclerosis society this upcoming weekend (it runs in my fam), Time is not exactly plentiful. :(

Updates will, however, be coming.

Attachments

• 20130529_215620.jpg
    20130529_215620.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20130529_195104.jpg
    20130529_195104.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 124
  • 20130529_194815.jpg
    20130529_194815.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20130529_215647.jpg
    20130529_215647.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 133
The Chop happened last night.

Yep...perfectly good motorcycle, cut clean in half (or more appropriately, the rear 2/3rds of the frame hacked off.

The cuts for the ardtail were honestly about as easy as one can make. One backbone cut just behind the top motor mounts, and the two lower frame rails cut just behind the lower motor mounts. about 20 minutes of carefully locating the cuts. marking them, then *carefully* hacking away, and the bike was in half.

Please note that the 20 minutes included beer time (a must), and convincing my wife to document the occasion with the camera.

SO here it is...a before shot, two pics of my ugly ass trying not to F anything up, and the result. I need to do some solid prep now on the rails and backbone (welds on the inside of the rails need to be cleaned up to fit the slugs) before I can even think of mocking anything up. shouldn't take too long.....

in the meantime...enjoy!

Attachments

• After the Chop 14Jun2013.jpg
    After the Chop 14Jun2013.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 155
  • The Chop 2 14Jun2013.jpg
    The Chop 2 14Jun2013.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 156
  • The Chop 1 14June2013.jpg
    The Chop 1 14June2013.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Before the Chop 14Jun2013.jpg
    Before the Chop 14Jun2013.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 149
Things have been going well. With my last update, I managed to cut a perfectly good frame in half. With this one...I start putting it back together. I've actually been putting some long days in at the office lately, so I haven't had a ton of time to work on the bike. nothing quite so sad as a motorcycle with half a frame staring at you every time you open the garage door.

Either way, after going on and coming off a half dozen times, I got the ardtail set up perfect on the frame. As a bonus, I had been planning on doing the welding myself. I was talking to a friend, who knows a master welder (and works as a fabricator), who heard of the project, thought it was pretty damn cool, and offered to TIG the frame for me if I wanted. :thumbsup:

Yes, yes I am taking him up on his offer. Pride has nothing on safety, And I trust the hand of the man who has been welding for 40 years more than I trust my few years of experience.

So today I double triple checked everything, and tacked up the frame.

That means that the first part of the project (frame work) has officially turned the corner, and ASSEMBLY has begun.....

Attachments

• 20130623_141129.jpg
    20130623_141129.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 185
holy crap....it really has been just over a month since my last post...

Honestly, I haven't had a ton of time to work on the XS, but what I have done has made me feel quite good about where the project is going.
Big updates, obviously the frame was TIG'ed up. and I was able to mock up the front end and rear wheel enough to get me to the point of starting to figure out where the seat and controls will be.

Then came parts: seat mounts, springs, and some mid control mounts. Whee!!! I re-used the old exhaust mounts, cut and ground out the frame from them, and will be re-using them. as for the seat pan: I got a wild hair up my ass to try to fabricate one. There is a local leather shop that can get some quality leather from (Tandy Leather) and the guys there were super helpful about pointing me down the right path for how to cover the thing without making it look like a 4 year old did it. :thumbsup:

That said...progress to date is below :D

Note 1: the tank in the pic is just for mock up purposes. I bought it for 10 bucks on ebay, and bought it for the gas cap! Old School Yamaha with the tuning forks stamped in the top.

Note 2: I'm still working on learning how to weld...so please ignore the shitty welds...all the important ones though are being done by a master welder (not me). I've done more on the parts end than fabricating...so this is new territory!

Note 3: My wife rocks:D We celebrated our anniversary last week, and what does she do? goes down to my steel shop, and gets some laser cut letters to spell out "Toast's Speed Shop" in steel!!!:D:D:D:D some extra sheet I have + new letters, clearcoat and some hydrogen peroxide to "rust" the letters...and I have a custom shop sign!!!!!!!!!
"Toasts Speed Shop" is officially open for business!

Attachments

• Mock up of seat.jpg
    Mock up of seat.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 154
  • underside of seat.jpg
    underside of seat.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Toasts Speed Shop.jpg
    Toasts Speed Shop.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 131
Back