The true meaning of irony.

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Proof that there’s a sucker born every minute. I’ve done a lot of welding, professionally and hobby. And the one thing I’ve NEVER thought to myself while welding is, gee I wish there was some way I could shine a 6w/250 lumen light at this 3000W arc… :lmao:
E9B1F588-C5D9-4F35-A872-361EFC1CAC48.jpeg

Last edited:
Proof that there’s a sucker born every minute. I’ve done a lot of welding, professionally and hobby. And the one thing I’ve NEVER thought to myself while welding is, gee I wish there was some way I could shine a 6w/250 lumen light at this 3000W arc… :lmao:
View attachment 192791

Hi Rustie,
betcha that lil' light is for illuminating the weld area so the mighty MIG don't fire up where you don't want it to.

Yep. I’d be willing to bet most shops aren’t well lit, try welding under a truck bed or what have you. Light up on whatever in the complete wrong spot because you can’t see :(. Poke and hope doesn’t always work. I’d buy it, probably tape a flash light on first though
I haven't done it, but several people on the mig welding forum have tried putting LED lights on their helmets, to illuminate the point of interest just before arcing.
I can see how it would help.

Old folks like some of us ( me ) .don't always like changes
I bought a new circular saw and there was a red laser line .. I wondered what that was for
But it was not so bad after all
A lamp is perhaps not so useful .But a point ..where the weld hits would be something perhaps worth trying
Not with MIG or TIG where a button is pushed... But for stick weld ..When tacking
Especially with thin materials. Hold it with left hand .. : Aim at the point ( lamp or laser ) and close eyes.
If one welds daily it might not be a help or big difference :but if it is now and then it happens one stares into the Beam..Not in sync with the aiming and closing the eyes

Last edited:
Old folks like some of us ( me ) .don't always like changes
I bought a new circular saw and there was a red laser line .. I wondered what that was for
But it was not so bad after all
A lamp is perhaps not so useful .But a point ..where the weld hits would be something perhaps worth trying
Not with MIG or TIG where a button is pushed... But for stick weld ..When tacking
Especially with thin materials. Hold it with left hand .. : Aim at the point ( lamp or laser ) and close eyes.
If one welds daily it might not be a help or big difference :but if it is now and then it happens one stares into the Beam..Not in sync with the aiming and closing the eyes

Hi Jan,
a welder's life is made easier by an auto-darkening helmet glass.
Mine goes from #5 (brazing) to #12 (arc-welding) darkness WAY quicker than you can blink an eye.

But the cheap ones are eyeball burners....
If you dont go quality on auto dark you're better off flipping your lid. got a Miller AD now that works great

But the cheap ones are eyeball burners....
If you dont go quality on auto dark you're better off flipping your lid. got a Miller AD now that works great
I've got a Lincoln Viking, had for about 10 years now and I love it. Works great for MIG, TIG, and even gas welding. I wouldn't burn 60 or 70 series rod anywhere near it. I'll stick with my trusty 50yo SpeedGlass hood for burn'n rods.

Back