Time for new tires,,, What are you all running?

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
Getting ready to get new tires for the chop,,and thought I would ask the gallery what they like,,run and why.
Looking for grippy,, not too soft,,5000 miles of life is ok,,good in rain.
Front and rears will be replaced.

After a little research a couple years ago, and at the suggestion of one of the guys on the SR500 forum, I went with Shinko 712's on both XS's and the SR500. Couldn't be happier. Great price! (got em' all from J&P Cycles). Good in the wet, good in the twisties, and not wearing bad at all. I can tell I like em' because my chicken strips got about 3/4" wider.

roy

I guess I would vote for the 712s too, just because they're half the price of the rest and don't seem to be any worse than them.

Strictly Shinko 712s and Shinko 230 Tour Masters on the bigger bikes. Nothing like the hard compound cheap tires of old, very comparable to the Bridgestone Spitfires.

Check out the prices at Chaparral on ebay. Buy from them and you'll get them drop shipped from a Shinko warehouse. Mine are usually within 3 months of DOT manufacture date. I'm a happy guy.

Scott

Last edited:
The 712's are good except for the line following. 230's are better, IMO. Got a Kenda Sat due to a picked up nail. Seems OK but I've only had it a few days and not many miles.

Looking like Shinko appears to be the popular brand. I do have a Shinko on the rear now and I really do like it. It came with the rear wheel setup I got from Gary. Very pleased with that tire.
Gonna start shopping them now I guess.
Any tips on where the best buys are at?

Questions and comments: Cra-z1, nice 72. And thanks for the Jakewilson site. I'll compare it with Dennis Kirk
Ernie, I have an 18 on the back, but do they wear well on your bike?
I had Avon AM23 Roadriders front 3.25x19 and rear 4.00x18. Handled great but the rear was squirrely on highway when hitting the grooves in the road. it lasted about 6K.
Then an Avon AM44 60/40, rear only 120/80x18. It handled as well as the roadrider, but no wobbling in the grooves and much better on dirt roads and grass. It lasted about 7K. I believe this tire has been discontinued.
Then an Avon AV54 60/40, rear only 120/80x18. Again handles great, no squirreling and great on dirt and grass. I have about 4k now and holding up well.

Note: Just put another Avon AM23 roadrider on the front since the last one lasted 15K or so, and it wore evenly. Well, this install was a bitch. I try to install the tires using powder because I feel it allows the tube to move more freely. The bead wouldn't pop on one side, so I did the usual, let out some air, hit it with a rubber mallet all around, bounced it on the ground, put in air again -- same thing. Now I try dish soap and water. I don't like to use soap because I have steel rims and it promotes rust. Anyway, did all the same stuff -- same thing. Now, I remove the tire and tube. Inflated the tube on the ground. It was bulging on one side. Ah - hah! Put in the old tube, (that didn't have a bulge), used WD-40, (now I'm serious), some more pounding and bouncing and the bead line looked even on both sides. Road the bike and ......... same fu-kin thing. At first I thought it was too much fork oil and I was feeling all the minute bumps in the road. It's really obvious with no hands as I slow down. Ok, so this is the 5th tire I've changed in 3 years and I've probably changed more than 50 in my life time.

Anyone out there ever had a bad tire?

Oh, i've been thinking I may go back to the original 4x18 Dunlop k70 rear and a 3.5x19 ribbed front. That was stock for 72.

I've used Motorcycle superstore a few times. Competition Accessories comes to mind. Good folks both of them.

Ernie, I have an 18 on the back, but do they wear well on your bike?

I wore out one rear in about 4 years, not sure how many miles, 'cuz the odometer doesn't work. I'm sure it was several thousand.

The front was put on at the same time and still looks great. They ride pretty nice, feels good to me, but I have nothing to compare them to.

Back