Top end questions

Double check your tooth counting, 34 is the 8mm pitch 256, 36 is the later 447 type.
You may be able to get a machine shop to press-off the sprockets and swap, not for the faint-of-heart...

Its 36. Crazy I know. Some one has done lots to this engine

Ok ok, wait. In your post #5, first picture shows 2 camshafts. The bottom one shows 34 teeth, the upper one without the advance rod bushings shows 36 teeth. Which one came out of your engine?

Ok ok, wait. In your post #5, first picture shows 2 camshafts. The bottom one shows 34 teeth, the upper one without the advance rod bushings shows 36 teeth. Which one came out of your engine?

Oh man your right. I went and numbered the teeth with a sharpie 34. Back to $350 for a used cam.:shrug:

Whew... Glad you caught that. Non-stock and frankenbikes are a special issue on this forum. You could double-confirm-check by counting the teeth on the crank, best done by dropping the bottom sump plate to see it. 256/306 will have 17 teeth (half of 34), 447 will have 18 teeth (half of 36).

I've never messed with pressing on/off cam sprockets, but have the tools to do it someday. Other members here have done it, but requires meticulous precision. Try a forum search 'sprocket', or the google search feature "cam+sprocket", to get an idea of what's involved...

My hopes and dreams lost! I dropped one end of the timing chain in to the crank case...ugh. I unhooked the safety wire to put the master link back on and in the blink of an eye it was gone. So all wise forum members what are my options?:banghead:

Not a problem, been done a hundred times. Sometimes you get lucky fishing around with an extensible probe/magnet. Better way is to drop that sump plate to get to it. Besides, good idea to clean/check that sump filter anyways...

You might try another direction. See if somone that likes to hop up motors wants to buy what you have now then get another motor. Hard to tell what is inside unless you do a complete teardown, split cases and some very detailed measuring. I have the same situation with stuff I have laying around. You never know what you have there. It could have some rare con rods, pistons, head port work, valves, springs.... Some of those items are rare and valuable. Just putting another cam in it might require you to dial it in and press the cam gear on and off more than once. Real performance motors are built to match up many components to run right or at all. I ran across a buy that placed a few Shell Racing parts and a motor in my garage. The motor and parts are made to put out some power but not realistic for a street rider. You need to see what you have and take it from there or you might be throwing money in the wrong direction.

Grabbing that chain again should be the easy part. Saftey wire bent right, a good flashlight and glasses for some of us.

Back