Toyota seal packing 103

vansmetal

XS650 Addict
Reaction score

Right about 10min 15sec mark he explains why Toyota seal packing 103 is used. Just curious what yall think about this product and if anyone has used it. I do understand that there is plenty of debate/what one prefers around other sealants…so hopefully I don’t open a can of worms pertaining to any other sealant….regardless I think I might use it anyway bc if it’s good enough for a Toyota(which I agree they go forever and I don’t own a Toyota so it’s purely from observation) it should be good enough sealant to use to keep oil leaks away.

Attachments

• 6A9428A6-B536-4B4C-A04B-36A09DADA4C6.jpeg
    6A9428A6-B536-4B4C-A04B-36A09DADA4C6.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 48
Well Toyota is making 10 million cars so the sealing and sealing chemicals is tested and of good quality for their needs
But generally speaking the sealing or Chemicals ---Seals is another company that has the Expertise Know how + do the Science

I know that VOLVO fex cannot get that know how transferred and in some cases the secrecy about the product is a competitive advantage
Which they never gonna tell anyone else fex Auto electronics .. If that gets out ---Poff someone takes it to Asia and soon Bosch would be out of Business.

Toyota is so big so I dont know ..But There are other large manufacturers in Japan that all need seals and Gaskets.
The sticky sloppy stuff snake oil is not their Core Business

So I guess that a Toyota Labelled tube has been Manufactured by someone else It actually says there on the package made in the USA
It is not certain that it is for sale from the manufacturer
And nothing says it is not a first class product If these HD gentlemen have tried and tested it.

There are known large brands out there Permatex for ex that has been around for a long time. Loctite and so on
Experts in their Business I would not believe this Toyota Brand be better than them
But it is just me .. I would not be nervous about using it provided it is the same temperature and so on
Following the instructions clean and so.
I am at Permatex and use more of it than others here .. It was used already in the early 70 ies ..Would have been out of Business by now if poor results

I've not used the Toyota product - don't know what type it is. He's using it on a known leaker - knucklehead rocker box that has multiple planes (not flat).

IME, undamaged XS gasket surfaces can generally be sealed just using a quality gasket* assembled dry. Of course, Yamabond/Threebond on crankcase halves and rocker cover.

*Athena often not good quality and could use the help of Gaskacinch or similar

I'm not a fan of silicone based sealers anywhere on an XS

Back