Tracker Extraordinaire rescue

You can use your fancy jugs and make it a 750.
fancy jugs, what guy doesn’t like those two words together?
L👀ked at the link and see those cylinder liners are on sale cheap, but … to remove stock liners, bore the block for bigger liners, then bore those liners for 743cc pistons sound like rather expensive machining operations? + shipping cuz who do you trust locally?
How did you find the work done?

Last edited:
I believe I may have added an o’ring to fill the gap made by the tapered roller bearings. You can’t have that rattling. I’m pretty sure the tapered roller bearings take up more space than the OE ball bearings.
Heard about that happening, that’s the biggest reason I did disassemble the steering stem to confirm the races were bottomed. Thankfully this bearing set doesn’t affect the spacing. Actually, no room for a Oring, not even a RCH

L👀ked at the link and see those cylinder liners are on sale cheap, but … to remove stock liners, bore the block for bigger liners, then bore those liners for 743cc pistons sound like rather expensive machining operations? + shipping cuz who do you trust locally?
Yeah, that's why I went with 700cc. Gary Hoos said it;s plenty for a street engine with a cam and head work. It's about 2-3 hundred dollars to bore the jugs and final bore/fit the liners.

Didn't say it was cheap.
Had the work done at a local automotive machine shop.
Yes I had to pay X4 for boring instead of X2. To me it was worth it to keep the stock cylinders for the bike I'm building.

Winter is here suddenly. Was enjoying riding last weekend but now it’s time to freeze proof the home.
XS project items will move indoors somewhat.
Top End coming off for inspection! All this big bore chat is tempting but I’m not too interested in putting $500 into an unproven engine yet.
Although I’ve rescued 2 other non running projects, it is a gamble 🎲 🎲
Pays off to be cautious as well as thoughtful, inclined, decisive.. etc 🥱
Yuck, spontaneous is so much more fun
IMG_5785.jpeg

All New chrome or stainless fasteners sorted. Need brass head washers and to get that darn green Athena base gasket outa there, 🤮

Last edited:
IMG_5813.jpeg

Short Saturday time. Working OT.
Spent a little more time than expected disassembling rear shocks. Enlarged the hole in the chrome trim piece of stock 78/79 shocks. Put it all back on with new hardware in “backwards” position as I actually prefer visually the nitrogen reservoir towards the frame tube. Agree?
And the front forks are drained and back on with chrome Yamaha headlight ears, had to straighten those of course.
Wheels aren’t ready cuz that rear needs upgraded in both seal and sprocket bolts.
IMG_5814.jpeg

Was hoping for a “last ride” on my Green Standard tomorrow but dang is it cold here!
We’ll see after lunch

Good eye, unfortunately yes it has. The previous owner had an idea of a single carburetor with a custom manifold. The manifold is very cool. Frame being cut, Not cool. I will have that cut and welded to a more original configuration with good ole BS38’s

If your going to be cutting, welding and repainting the frame cut off the center stand brackets too. Much cleaner look without them.

If your going to be cutting, welding and repainting the frame cut off the center stand brackets too. Much cleaner look without them.
Agree on more cleaner frame mods. The left center stand tabs are already gone. The right were left per Omars instructions for the half mile pipes to hang on. But, I cannot test fit the pipes until the engine is back in the frame which will be awhile. Most components are painted a “BMW silver” and will likely be blended with a rattle can after necessary frame mods are finalized. End result does not have to meet show bike status, just good looking, fun, and fast
😎

It`s already show bike status.:thumbsup: You can have a aerosol can made with the correct BMW silver. I forgot about the way Omar`s pipes mount. You`ll need the bracket if you don`t make your own. Are those pipes stainless?

Are those pipes stainless?
Good question and I can reply that they are lightly magnetic which some stainless grades are. Rust free and very nicely made but reading further does not confirm stainless construction.
L👀king at instructions caught my interest in mostly drilling the BS38 slides and the claimed performance improvement??
Very tempting
IMG_5828.jpeg

Any info appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5831.jpeg
    IMG_5831.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5829.jpeg
    IMG_5829.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 39
Good question and I can reply that they are lightly magnetic which some stainless grades are. Rust free and very nicely made but reading further does not confirm stainless construction.
L👀king at instructions caught my interest in mostly drilling the BS38 slides and the claimed performance improvement??
Very tempting
View attachment 254383
Any info appreciated
I have Omars Mile pipes, unpainted and they're bare steel, not stainless.

Omars exhaust systems and most Tracker body components etc are “out of stock” nla..
The 19” rear wheel conversion kit seems avaliable.. No seals ? I’m surprised.
The provided bolts are not “JIS” which means the bolt heads are 13mm hex. Not optimal for the disc. IMG_5835.jpeg

Omars exhaust systems and most Tracker body components etc are “out of stock” nla..
The 19” rear wheel conversion kit seems avaliable.. No seals ? I’m surprised.
The provided bolts are not “JIS” which means the bolt heads are 13mm hex. Not optimal for the disc. View attachment 254447
Yeah, he retired and the business went with him unfortunately. You can still see the old items he used to sell though.

IMG_5874.jpeg

Saturday Front end progress.
No front fender on country roads with an oversized track tire by choice, may require more than a face shield, a fork brace was chosen.
This new era correct old school hoop fork brace arrived today. It’s a Mikes XS item. Because fork alignment is important for good function, I spent much time installing and checking for slider action with the fork springs removed. The jig for manufacturing/ welding must be accurate as the installed brace fits in width tight but proper and bolts in relatively square position. I do recommend the brace for fenderless application.
Winter darkness and cold set in by dinner time here so more next time
IMG_5869.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_5974.jpeg

Preparing for engine top end disassembly. See it is all there finger tight on those dang green Athena gaskets. New rings and it feels correct. Camshaft looks better than any I’ve seen previously.
I did today come up with an awesome engine stand table to do the work on👍 checked over the valve train manually turning over the engine which feels good . Noticed improper cam chain tensioner action so I studied 5twins prior old posts to discover an incorrect combination of components. Fortunately a correct length type E tensioner screw was in my parts stash so that got sorted out.
Tried to get the engine indoors, picked it up and thought.. not a chance to get it upstairs 🥴
So cold garage it is.. It’s a busy time of year but hopefully this project will keep on track little bit by bit.
IMG_5976.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5977.jpeg
    IMG_5977.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5978.jpeg
    IMG_5978.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 30
Back