Troubleshooting No Spark...PAMCO with green dual coil

RustyXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was riding the other day and all was fine and then the bike simply shut off and I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. Let me preface by saying this is my first XS and although I consider myself rather mechanical, electrical is not my strong point.

I've read a ton of threads etc. about my issue so I bought a nice multimeter to start to dig into the problem.

According to another thread I found posted by PAMCOPETE, I followed the steps to check the coil.

1. Resistance between each primary should be 2.5-4.5 ( I have 3.1)
2. Resistance between primary and coil core should be open...(my meter reads nothing)
3. Resistance between primary terminal and plug wire terminal should be open...(my meter reads 16.52) ??
4. Resistance between plug terminal and core should be open...(my meter reads nothing)
5. Resistance from one plug terminal to the other should be 15,000-20,000...( mine reads 15.68)

Does anyone see problems with those readings ? The 3rd step seems most odd.

I have 12V at the primary terminal when the key is turned on and my battery by itself is normal voltage.

All of my lights work with the key on.

I also removed the centering pin from the rotor and hand spun it with the plug grounded to the engine and did not get any spark.

I checked all of my wires and from what I can see nothing had changed from when it was working and I double checked all of the connections.

One thing I found to look a bit weird was the PAMCO board itself. I took a picture for reference (see below) but the solder on the upper piece seems to be melted and touching the connection next to it. I can't imagine this is correct ?

Also the component below it has no solder holding it into place and it seemed like it was just dangling there. I could wiggle it back and forth on the board.

I really want to rewire this bike because the prior owner did a hack job of splicing and pig tailing wires. It simply needs to be done right but it would be nice to figure out the main fault right now. I have a new coil from Mikes on its way as I hoped it was that simple of a fix.

LARGER IMAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubkorpsdotcom/6007004869/sizes/o/in/photostream/
6007004869_952e2135df_z.jpg

RustyXS,

Verify your step #3, above. It could be that you made contact with your fingers when taking that reading. Otherwise, it would appear that the coil has fried and taken the PAMCO with it. If you are still under warranty (one year) then you will get a new plate and PC board, but the coil is not under warranty. If you do replace the coil, I would suggest either the 17-6822 or 17-6903 coil instead of the "Green Monster"

If you are no longer under warranty, then there is a flat $45 plus $6 shipping fee to replace the plate and PC board only (not the rotor) with a new unit that has a two year warranty and the latest updates.

PM me for details.

I think I checked all of those settings at least 5 times. The third one still seems weird. What are your thoughts on the looks of the Pamco board?
I think I was hoping the coil was bad so it was a simple swap fix. I'd like to get the new board ASAP so I'll contact you.
I bought the bike used so I don't have any warranty info.

Back