Tuning

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
Doing a little investigation today on my newly running engine. I am experiencing a little popping only on the right side. I put the timing light on my new PMA and have that sorted and I adjusted the idle. So a little background before the question. Overhauled top end, new rings, seals, gaskets, mikesxs 1 3/4" header and Lossa Engineering reverse cone mufflers. I also have the header torque inserts installed.

Here is what I am noticing: when placing my hand near the exhaust, I feel a much stronger output on the left side than the right. The left does not appear to be popping at all. I double-checked for any exhaust leaks and that seems fine. I'm guessing I need to tune my carb a bit, but need some guidance here. I can see what I think is the adjustment screw which I have circled in red. Is this what I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Brent

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 255
That is the idle mixture screw for that carb. That adjusts the strength of the idle fuel mix, making it a little richer or leaner, depending which way you turn it (in = leaner, out = richer). I think you have a different problem. I think your carbs are out of sync, one running faster than the other. There is a different adjustment for that. There is a screw on the linkage or shaft between the two carbs. This adjusts the opening on the right carb's butterfly plate. You set it so it matches the opening on the left carb's plate. Here's a close-up shot of the adjuster .....

SyncAdjust.jpg

..... and one from farther away .....

34ThrottlePlates.jpg

Thank you 5twins for the advice and teaching us how to get these bikes back on the road. Now I need to get one of those little bent screw drivers.

Back