Turn signal issue

Captmilk

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I rode to work and on my way home i noticed that my turn signals weren't working. It did rain that night. I switched out the flasher as a way to start trouble shooting.... any Ideas?

There are numerous bullet type connections involved and the left handle bar switch itself which usually need a good cleaning. Solder connections are often loose particularly in the switch. Sometimes they need being cleaned/replaced and re-connected with di-electric grease. As well.....if your bike is so equiped, the turn signal self cancelling unit often has become trouble prone and a source of unreliable operation. The TSCU is often discarded which turns the 3 prong flasher into just 2 and much less costly to replace btw. A good cleaning, re-solder if indicated, re-connect with di-electric grease often solves reliability issues.....like dirty contacts/connection issues made worse being wet are more often failure causes than a bad flasher per se. Blue

If you dig down deep into the switch, you'll see three wires soldered into three little cups. Those always need to be re-soldered before the turn signals will work consistently. Chances are you'll be able to just pull them loose with your fingers. Remember the order you take it apart. I'll only go back one way but it's a bit confusing if you didn't make mental notes.

Back