Two-in-one intake manifold using a V34

Travis Paulson

Cafe for my boy.
Reaction score
I saw the manifold and thought how cool it looks and bought a pair of v34s in hope that one of those carbs could make this xs650 engine operate. Now I've heard that I could burn up the piston rings as it starves for fuel. Anyone tried this with the v34? Any suggestions for making it work, or another carb that can do the job?
IMG_9444.JPG

It shouldn’t.

Only running one cylinder at a time.

I believe the part most people struggle with on a single carb is getting the same length on the intake.

It shouldn’t.

Only running one cylinder at a time.

I believe the part most people struggle with on a single carb is getting the same length on the intake.
So I should be safe trying to make this size carb supply both cylinders and not harm the cylinders? Just a bit nervous as I try to learn air/fuel supply without damaging anything. Thanks for your reply.

You’re only supplying one at a time.

Not both.

You should be pretty much stock jetting.

Never ran the setup myself but as long as your fuel supply keeps up which I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Shouldn’t be an issue.

*I don’t know what I don’t know.

You can rejet a VM34 just like you can about any carb... From too lean to too rich.... Or just right. You only burn pistons when you jet too lean. Just don't do that and you'll be fine.

That's a load of rot, as long as the carb is jetted right with the right slide cutaway it should run better than a twin carb setup. One cylinder will run differently than the other though due to the different intake lengths. In a nutshell: longer intakes give better torque at lower revs, whereas short intakes give better power at higher revs. So a bit of a mismatch, but nothing to worry about and I doubt you'll notice anything aside from maybe a slightly different plug colour.

Your manifold is an interesting off center carburetor design. A project I recently acquired had a different approach to a single carburetor. This pictured custom made manifold is symmetrical. This manifold was made for a single Amal carburetor. That requires the frame center tube to be replaced with a box section for the carburetor space.
I’m just not into that myself. It might be a great idea? Maybe for a different XS650 engine application?

Attachments

• IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 19
Back