Uh oh...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The building across the street from me has been for sale for several years. One end of it is leased to the USPS and serves as our Post Office. The rest of the building was originally (AFAIK) a garage/gas station, then a convenience store, then an apartment and then empty for the last 5-6 years.

Rumor has it, it's been sold. That's supported by my observation of folks with tape measures and what appeared to be plat maps wandering around last week. Further, the rumor is that the guy that bought it is the same one that bought and revitalized a run-down convenience store up on the highway. He REALLY turned that place around and it's been busy ever since.

That's important because the rumor goes on to say he's gonna open up a coffee shop there. Hence, the "Uh oh..." I loves me some coffee. Also, most "coffee shops" sell various things to nosh on whilst slurping your coffee. If he opens a shop in the "espresso and pastries" vein, I'm going to gain several pounds and spend a significant amount of time and money. In fact, I can see it being a morning routine, depending on what time he opens. Assuming of course, that any of this is true.

I'd forgotten about this thread. Other irons, local bureaucracy, and "shit happens" have long delayed the project but he assures me it's still on the table. Last I spoke with him he was hoping for an early Spring 2024 opening, but I haven't seen much in the way of activity over there.

Are you going to lose the Post Office or will it remain?
Part of the reason they bought the building is because the rent from the Post Office pays most of the mortgage and uses less than a quarter of the space. It'll be there as long as the USPS deigns to serve our little hamlet.

I trust the spring 2025 opening is still a coffee shop? We have Tim Hortons coffee shops all over the place in our area. I’ll bet there’s over 24 of them in our town alone. Good place to grab a coffee but I don’t like hanging out there to socialize. There’s a few mom and pop small restaurant / coffee shops a 30 minute ride away in the “country”. I like going there for an excuse to go for a ride and on a bad day there would be a few bikes and on a busy day, dozens.

I agree with @jetmechmarty about the evils of donut consumption, I used to have one a week maybe? About 6 weeks ago my wife decided to cut sugar out of her diet. I thought that would be a good idea and followed suit. I have the odd treat but try to avoid most cookies, cakes, donuts and candy. We also have been eating healthier foods at home. Good news is, with my new found eating habits and being more active in the garage, I’ve shed an honest 13-14 lbs. I’m going to keep going as it can only be good for me.

Good news is, with my new found eating habits and being more active in the garage, I’ve shed an honest 13-14 lbs. I’m going to keep going as it can only be good for me.
Congratulations!!!

For me, it’s about 50 lbs and I’m about 5 years into keeping it off.
IMG_3197.jpeg

I bought this jacket in 1983. It fits now about like it did then.
@Downeaster, congratulations on not having a drug dealer move into your neighborhood!

The building across the street from me has been for sale for several years. One end of it is leased to the USPS and serves as our Post Office. The rest of the building was originally (AFAIK) a garage/gas station, then a convenience store, then an apartment and then empty for the last 5-6 years.

Rumor has it, it's been sold. That's supported by my observation of folks with tape measures and what appeared to be plat maps wandering around last week. Further, the rumor is that the guy that bought it is the same one that bought and revitalized a run-down convenience store up on the highway. He REALLY turned that place around and it's been busy ever since.

That's important because the rumor goes on to say he's gonna open up a coffee shop there. Hence, the "Uh oh..." I loves me some coffee. Also, most "coffee shops" sell various things to nosh on whilst slurping your coffee. If he opens a shop in the "espresso and pastries" vein, I'm going to gain several pounds and spend a significant amount of time and money. In fact, I can see it being a morning routine, depending on what time he opens. Assuming of course, that any of this is true.
1713844486230.png
(My husband bought me the shirt...)

Congratulations!!!

For me, it’s about 50 lbs and I’m about 5 years into keeping it off.
View attachment 256478
I bought this jacket in 1983. It fits now about like it did then.
@Downeaster, congratulations on not having a drug dealer move into your neighborhood!
I take the same size socks as I did in 1968! Other stuff - not so much...

As it happens, I talked to the owner of the building - also the prospective coffee shop proprietor - yesterday and it's still on hold.

He owns a house right on the shore and the Winter storms have raised holy old hell with him. He's on his third new roof since last October (due partly to incompetent roofers) and tidal surge has undermined a part of the foundation. The related expenses and hassle has put the cafe' on the back burner. He still intends to get it done, but it'll be a minimum of another couple of months before he can start.

Maybe by this Fall...

Back