Under-motor mufflers?

jbbishop2

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been considering an under-motor muffler, sort of like a Buell, and don't find anything like that on XS650s when I search. Have you seen any? Are there issues about heat from something like that under the oil sump?

Thanks,
John

I'd worry more about ground clearance, those buells sit a lot higher than xs650's.

2.5" of clearance between the ground and the muffler with a full suspension. better take bumps slowly.
goingsmoto02.jpg

>2.5" of clearance between the ground and the muffler with a full suspension. better take bumps slowly.

Yes, that could be a problem...that one has enough space between muffler and motor that the heat might not be too bad, but it is really close to the ground. Seems like you could figure what max suspension compression could be and maintain enough clearance for most bumps, but it would surely high-center at the top of a ramp or maybe on a steep driveway entry.

Something fabbed to be closer, like on this Sportster by dp Customs, might allow better clearance: http://www.bikeexif.com/2000-harley-sportster-1200.

I looked at the X pipe a couple of years ago $400. + is a lot of loot. It looks good if it peforms like they say it does? They do not show a picture of bottom. It is a stamped steel X that works like crossover pipe on the original yamaha system. Oil changes would be messy.

Oil changes would be messy.

I think anything I'd put under there would have to be either easily removable for oil changes or allow room for the plugs. The Bros Mfg pipes claim to be clear of the drain plugs but I can't tell from the pictures. I bought a set for a friend in NZ, $178 including shipping to CA (now I just have to get them to NZ...), we'll see how they sit on his bike.

Back