Unusual XS 650 F Available

bluebikerblan

Geezer
Reaction score
Just want to bring some attention to an infrequently seen model listing, a 1979 F in very good condition now on ebay. Also a bike I'm somewhat familiar with here in Utah.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...494521086&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I consider it to be in very good condition and an excellent candidate for restoration.
Last model year of the "Standard". Low mileage and a 2FO matching VIN #'s. Excellent runner!

Known negatives....aftermarket exhaust, and adapted "Special" seat.

Rare find IMHO! Blue

Last edited:
Nah.....quite a few 78' 650 E's but apparently not so many 79' F's. I've only seen a couple. Going down to check it out, take a ride later this week.

Besides *ahem* my favorite and most beautiful XS 650 is an SE ("Belle" a blue 1978 Special!)

:poke:

To me XS 650's are like sex....the worst I ever had was fantastic! Blue

Last edited:
Kingwj has a nice F.
79 was the only year they produced 3 models. The SF, 2F and F.
Like Blue said the low production numbers and being the last of the line, it would make a good canidate for restoration.
Year and half or two years ago I was watching the tank and tins for an F on Ebay they went for upwards of 200.
Just the badges for the sidecovers bring more than my weekly allowance.
Hope it works out for you Blue.

Thanks weekendrider but; I likely won't be in the bidding fray that I suspect will develop towards the end. Be that as it may...I hope that the bike finds good hands who appreciates it's rarity, condition & potential. Would be happy to help out anyone serious in that regard with local matters? Truck? Trailers? Pick Up? Etc. Seller is about 1/2 hr. away south.

Blue

Can someone advise of distinctions between 1979 models F & 2F?

All I'm aware of are the headlight ON/OFF switch on the right hand controls.....The F has the switch and the 2F (like the SF) does not. If that even is correct?

Thanks, Blue

Last edited:
The 2F was the 1st Special II or budget Special. Not quite as much chrome, hinged seat on the side, 16" spoke rear wheel. The wheels are the really unique feature on the '79 2F. They are 19" and 16" spoke wheels like all the Special II's but they use alloy rims, not chromed steel. And they are more of a normal style, not the flanged type used on the Standards. If Specials ever become collectible, I figure this model will be at the top of the list.

My gut feeling is this one won't make what he's asking. But I think it's a much prettier bike than a Standard that went for over $4000 recently. I guess it's a non flat seat stigma or something.

Thx for the info. 5twins.....this bike is a matching VIN#s 2F0-022446, with 18" rear drum brakes, shouldered aluminum rims 19" front spokes. It's definitely the F model.

The seat on it is an incorrect fitting side hinged replacement from a "Special". Moreover,
the left side cover is a black replacement cover as well. The rest of bike is dark 'cobalt' blue. (I stand corrected Kingwj and embarassed :oops: I have a 78' XS 650 SE "Belle" color....also cobalt blue)

Reserve met at $1,500.

Best, Blue

Last edited:
Thx for the info. 5twins.....this bike is a matching VIN#s 2F0-022446, with 18" rear drum brakes, shouldered aluminum rims 19" front spokes. It's definitely the F model.

The seat on it is an incorrect fitting side hinged replacement from a "Special". Moreover,
the left side cover is a black replacement cover as well. The rest of bike is dark 'cobalt' blue. (I stand corrected Kingwj and embarassed :oops: I have a 78' XS 650 SE "Belle" color....also cobalt blue)

Reserve met at $1,500.

Best, Blue
Just a hopefully harmless jest. I had a tough time finding the correct paint for my bike, actually found an Autocolor (PPG company) code from Europe which was perfect. But most of the fun is the search.

A great bargain if you consider what you could get for the same money. Taking into account things like availability and cost of parts. I was surprised it hit reserve, with his bin of 2500. He wasn't helped by his feedback of < 100% and an ad that I thought could have been more polished.

If I may butt in, Im rather new at these models, I salvaged a '79 (Im told it was called a roadster) sn is a 2fo. was far from a complete bike, so in thinking I was going to teach my 15 yo son some of my mad mech skills (ya right) I imediatly dropped it, and hardtailed it w/still using the swingarm, just removed the swing. No struts, cut off the backend of the frame and bent and built new frame sections. got it looking real nice, and running but having issue w/charging system. Am working through this issue though. Any way is this really a rare model? What makes it so rare?

It's rare because it is the last US xs650 standard model produced and sales were slipping on standards so only a few thousand were made. Other than a few badges and a paintjob it's like all the others. I wouldn't fret you did anything bad, I say you did good putting it back on the road.

Back