us custom 650 1981 bike tappet settings

This has been very interesting, I have had a read of Howards page as well. I am definitely gonna try loose that is all making good sense to me. I have to confess when I was working in the bike shop doing the SV1000 the guy running the place was explaining to me that on shim motors there is less component wear and the clearances close up over time as the valves beats into the head, my thinking was tight clearances = quiet engine but he insisted that big clearances were better as longer service intervals, I had never even considered the concept we have been discussing regarding the lift ramps and that period of time the valve isn't shut properly or open much and just loosing compression...
Good pic on the clutch, glad it was an extra washer and your not leaving bits out.... I think the pic in the manual is not showing the bearing plate as it is part of the bearing, confusing though if you are looking at it for the first time..... I was having quite a few issues with the clutch so did double and triple check the order was right, its still a bit grabby but its the nicest its ever been, short of replacing every component lol....

what part of the sunny UK do you hail from Blim ?
I'm sweltering down in the South West today ..sat in front of a huge fan ........too hot to work on the bike !

South west as well mate, Somerset, Wellington, yes its lovely weather, Crewkerne, your just down the road from me man, far out, Jay is local as well..... Just opened the clearances up and instantly more compression kicking it over, this warm weather if the larger clearances help it not get so hot its got to be good, lets see if I notice more power......

brilliant ! Mine is getting a bit hot too so I reckon I'll take my own advice and increase my lash too . I know that I'm also running a bit lean at mid throttle as she is surging all the time on a stable throttle setting at a sustained speed so that will make her hot as well

We'll have to meet up sometime this summer . I need to get my MOT retest and sort out a few issues with mine before I trust it to anything more than a local thrash. Used to go to Wellington on Sundays some years back , to ride out with the Wellington wheelers. The only 2x wheels I ride these days has to have a motor :)

far out I used to ride with the welly wheelers sometimes with my dad when I was a kid growing up, far too unhealthy to cycle now.... Yes def meet up at some point, there are quite a few XS owners locally, always useful to know people for spares and advice and that...... It does seem to run a bit sweeter, def more compression that is def noticeable...... Whats up for MOT??? My mates I just MOT'd and he pinched my old rear tire because it was less bald than his....

The looser clearances don't sound too bad either, yes you can hear it but its not awful, it quietens when its warmed up as well which says a huge amount about it needing a big gap to take up expansion.....

The looser clearances don't sound too bad either, yes you can hear it but its not awful, it quietens when its warmed up as well which says a huge amount about it needing a big gap to take up expansion.....

thats good news ! I'm dying to adjust mine now.
I've been a real wuss today and sat in front of the fan all day. its supposed to get to 35 degrees tomorrow and 20 degrees all night phew ...

My 79 only failed on the horn and tail light . The MOT guy said I could put some gaffa tape over the front and rear ligfhts and go for a daylight only MOT ! how about that !..... I only ever ride in daylight anyway. That still leaves the damn horn and signals though.

I did a bit of ferriting around on the electrical schematic today and have isolated the problem. Its the bluddy ignition switch would you believe !?

It just goes to show that problems usually are caused by something you've disturbed yourself . the other day I stripped and cleaned the ignition switch because it wasn't working so I must have cocked it up somewhere. At least I know exactly where to look anyway.

The starter motor and solenoid together with the headlight and tail light are all constantly live so don't go via the ignition switch which is why the bike started and got me to the garage and back ok. All the other stuff is fed via the brown wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box .

Funny you should mention the rear tyre. Mine is as hard as concrete and just as bald and got an advisory last year. This year it passed ......?
I need a new tyre though as its really hairy at 60mph+ in any sort of headwind or crosswind.

So you were a wellie wheeler eh . I probably knew your Dad then. We used to do the odd 60 or 100 mile in a day Audax or Sportive . Must have been mad.
I also rode with the Chard 1st occasionally and they were bluddy mad.... hareing round the lanes and villages at 25mph+
have you got a video of any of your rides yet ?

Last edited:
My mates XS has electrical issues, I have re wired a bit of it but some numpty in the past has wired up the switch gear live for the horn so it has tape round the bars to stop it shorting out.... My ignition switched packed up last year, was using a pattern two wire Honda switch but vibrations shook it to bits, was annoying as it stayed on and killed my battery as well, I tried to repair it and predictably all the bits went everywhere then it went back together 180 degrees out but it worked lovely then tried again the correct way round but it was still temperamental and I lost my temper and beat it to death..... I scored a NOS genuine Honda switch and so far so good, it feels nicer and more positive so that's a good start.....

Valve clearances, well it does go better, its not life changing but it is noticeable, shame after I did it I thought it would have been fun to do a before and after compression test I think it would have been interesting.... will whip the plugs out tomorrow and see how its fueling.....

predictably all the bits went everywhere and I lost my temper and beat it to death..... ....

story of my life !:laugh2:

I haven't got much patience these days ever since I started needing reading glasses grrrrr quite a few things end up being hurled into next doors orchard from my shed.....My neighbour must scratch his head sometimes and look up at the sky lol

Can't think what I've done wrong with the switch it all looked so good going back together. last year it would take several seconds before the ignition light would come on and now it doesn't come on at all.
Its a simple circuit so I don't know how I cocked it up but cest le vie.

When are you and Jay next up the track ? I'd like to try and make it up there and watch you run.

I dunno that I am brave enough to race again this year, need to get a better crank done, its starting to rattle again, think its next month next meeting, I will check, if I don't race I quite fancy going to watch, good day out and everyone is friendly and lots of interesting machines of all shapes and size... I will look up the date on the web site.... If you get stuck with your switch I prob have one knocking about, might have to make a key for it.... I would say stop being a tight ass and buy a new one but as I have found out the pattern aftermarket ones are poo and more trouble than they are worth, bet a genuine one is a million pounds as well, the Honda one I got from CMSnl it was on special offer at 50 euros, CD175, I cut the wires off and soldered slightly heavier and just kept it simple two wire..... I do wiring looms for people, if it gets too bad start again from scratch, is your loom pretty standard? Get a modern reg rec and stuff, sort it right out, I got the decent Japanese style insulated bullets and decent crimping tool, if I say so myself I do a really tidy job.....

xs1 xs1b valve clearance SB.jpg

Courtesy @TwoManyXS1Bs excellent SB collection in the media section.

Back