VM34 Switching sides had crazy effect?

system9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike has VM34 carbs. My bike runs pretty good at all rpm ranges, cruises on the highway at 70 just fine, 0-60 is really nice etc.
Well, I am always trying to improve the performance. I noticed that the right cylinder fires almost like a metronome at idle, like Bup-Bup-Bup-Bup
The left cylinder is more intermittent. Like Bup-Bop--Bu Bop-Bup-Bup
Also, I think I see some smoke out of the left, like its a bit rich.
I can't tune this out with normal adjustments.
Again though, always starts on 1 kick, idles good etc.
I took the left carb off, cleaned it again, checked float level, all that, it seems like it's in tip top shape.
I switched the plugs, and switched the spark plug wires to the opposite side to see if the issue would move, and it didn't. Then I switched carb bodies, they are identical, and weird shit happened.
First of all, for some reason the idle setting is suddenly bottomed out. This is set with physical screws in each carb body, so why this happened I have no Idea. Even if I turn the idle screws all the way in, the slides only raise a little. This is weird, all I did was switch sides. Now, when I start the bike it is LOUD! Like crazy loud. Sounds like a dragster with no mufflers. Almost like it is backfiring on every stroke. Both Cylinders. Sounds kinda badass, but I doubt its supposed to be this way. I can obviously switch the carb bodies back, but why would this happen if the carbs are identical?

Ok, figured it out. When swapping bodies you also have to swap the slides, because the slide only has the idle ramp cut into one side, and it has to match right or left.
Now back to trying to figure out the intermittent issue.

Back