Weak cylinder

Well hot damn you were right it was the filters.Pulled them off and it frickin rips now.I pulled the boot off the filter and slide it on the carb just to see if it was covering the air holes and its not at all,not even close so i dont really get that but it sure runs great without them.Guess i will have to get some K&N's and most likely rejet again. Thanks huge for all the help!!!

Well, I'm thinking that if the filters weren't blocking the holes they probably were disrupting the air flow to them somehow. I read once that CV carbs don't like a filter with much of a taper to it. If your pods are the ones I think they are then they have a sharply tapered round body with a small chrome end cap. The round style is also a no-no because they're physically too small to flow enough air. The oval style is recommended.

When I ran K&Ns, I used the rubber end cap model because the end cap was larger than the chrome version so the filter tapered less .....

RU-1820.jpg

Besides costing less than the chrome end cap version, you got more filter area too because of the larger rubber end cap. As you can see, the chrome version tapers much more .....

RCKNs.jpg

Recently I switched to UNIs and like them better than the K&Ns. They're a straight filter with no taper. Even with the minor taper on my RU K&Ns, I was still getting some minor break-up in the upper midrange when increasing main jet sizes. With the UNIs, that went away.

Your jetting was probably pretty close, those filters were just mucking things up.

Back