weird engine noise (recorded)

If you suspect a valve issue, have you tried compression testing? What about using an upper cylinder head lubricant or combustion chamber cleaner?

Compression:
Dry: Left 80/Right 80

Wet: Left 120/ Right 130

combustionchamber cleaner (Forte Moto Power II) is in the fuel, unfortunately I can't take the bike for a ride. I think the stuff works beter on the road then stationary on the pavement.

Thanks for thinking out loud:thumbsup:

Today I checked the valve clearance again. I'v sparayed the intake valves with brakecleaner kicked the engine over for some time and used a cloth to wipe of the debris.
After this I checked the proper valve clearence again. Intake on the left side was off (gap too small).
Then I rebuild it and started again. Still no improvement. The engine keeps coughing back through the left-side carb.:shrug:
Guess I have to take out the engine to inspect the cilinder head...:(:(:(

Compression:
Dry: Left 80/Right 80

Wet: Left 120/ Right 130

combustionchamber cleaner (Forte Moto Power II) is in the fuel, unfortunately I can't take the bike for a ride. I think the stuff works beter on the road then stationary on the pavement.

Thanks for thinking out loud:thumbsup:

Hmmm that compression is pretty low....

Yesterday I redid the compressiontest. This time using the electric starter.
Both sides now are 120 psi.

I took off the neccesary things from the engine so I can take it out later this week and inspect the cilinder head.

I know that the PO twice had a hole in one of the pistons due to running it to lean. Maybe this caused some collateral damage that hasn't been sorted out at that time.

Update...

Last weekend I pulled the engine out and removed the top end.
I found a lot of dirt, oil, fuel, carbon inside.

[/IMG]

valves

[/IMG]

pistons

And I did the infamous leak-test

[/IMG]

Clearly the leftside intake valve is leaking.
No wonder it kept popping back.

I am now decarborising, cleaning, assessing, etc.

I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• p2ClTra.jpg
    p2ClTra.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 1
  • E3L79Cv.jpg
    E3L79Cv.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 1
  • VCHVXLD.jpg
    VCHVXLD.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: