White gas-smelling smoke, right exhaust.

So are you saying when I hit the throttle and it stays idle that it could be because of the intake kinda holding the carbs open from the pressure due to the weak springs?? cuz that makes sense like fuck lol, never would have crossed my mind. Even though I turn the throttle and it clips back like normal it can still be too weak?

yes because at idle the throttle springs are at their lowest strength but it could be a combination of things, I found with my carbs that my butterflys were binding slightly on the walls of the venturi and the springs were a little weak .I discovered it by simply trying to force the throttles closed with my thumb and sure enough the idle came down straight away. Once I had reduced the throttle shaft float and then centered the disks and added an additional spring the idle worked fine.

So are you saying when I hit the throttle and it stays idle that it could be because of the intake kinda holding the carbs open from the pressure due to the weak springs?? cuz that makes sense like fuck lol, never would have crossed my mind. Even though I turn the throttle and it clips back like normal it can still be too weak?

If the throttle shaft seal is worn and the shaft has wollow'd, (for the want of a better word or spelling), out the carb body then this can cause the butterflies to bind against the walls of the venture........new seals will not completely solve the binding problem, even if the butterflies have been reset........I don't think it is due to the spring being weakened by age, it is due to the carb body being worn out and the butterfly still slightly binds, so adding another spring will help to overcome this problem........It is a solution to the problem,not a fix.....

Last edited:
yes because at idle the throttle springs are at their lowest strength but it could be a combination of things, I found with my carbs that my butterflys were binding slightly on the walls of the venturi and the springs were a little weak .I discovered it by simply trying to force the throttles closed with my thumb and sure enough the idle came down straight away. Once I had reduced the throttle shaft float and then centered the disks and added an additional spring the idle worked fine.

Alright, so where do I find that spring? I cant find it on mikesxs or 650central lol, does it have a specific name other than throttle spring?

Adding another spring is putting more pressure on the throttle shaft.........this could wear out the seals faster.............The return springs are very robust and IMHO they are the least likely to loose tension.......

In the link, to Mailmans 77D, he freed up the return mechanism by using some silicon grease on the friction points along the throttle shaft area.........

img_5039-jpg.101945

I checked it all out, I'll try that I guess. I just feel that maybe my timing is off and I feel that I should just get the electronic timing mechanism from mikesxs lol But at the same time, I can sort of move the right butterfly with an ever so light touch. maybe moves like 1 degree, enough to be held open when on the throttle? Idk I'm so sick of taking stuff on and off and on and off... I've taken my carbs off my bike atleast 20 times this year.....it's actually wearing the threads out and I've had to re-tap a couple areas.... starting to seem like a waste of money now

Back