weird top end noise. asking for help.

beaver

beaver
Reaction score
hey guys. im reaching out for some help. i got a 1983 xs650 SK with pamco, PMA, sparx battery cap, open pipes. stock carbs. my top end is making a weird noise. sounds like a bird is in my top end. its coming from the left exhaust/left valves. i took a video of it. hope that helps. it doesn't effect the ride but its SUPER annoying. thanks for reading.

ps- thats on a cold start. no choke. ha

I'm not sure what your issue is mate, but I fixed the youtube embed for you. Sounds like metal squeaking to me though like an dry bearing.

Wow, you were sure right about it being annoying!
As said above, it really does sound like a tired bearing.

Well, you have a lot of weird noises there, for one thing, it sounds like your cam chain is loose, and also it sounds like maybe do you have a bearing going bad, it's really hard to tell from video sound clips.

However, in the background I can hear the bird chirping. That is the classic sound of the choke housing not being tight enough on your BS38s. I can almost guarantee it, I have run into it many times. Check with a stethoscope and you will see. The solution is to tighten the three screws that hold the choke housing on. If the choke housing on the right-hand carb doesn't fix it, then you have to separate the carbs so that you can get to the left-hand carb choke housing. In extreme cases you may have to double-gasket the choke housing covers.

Check the camchain tension, and the valve clearances. If it still persists, check to see that you have the "damper" on the camchain tensioner.

As for the bird chirping....................could be the carb butterfly shaft seals. Any air leakage around the carbs can make that chirping. Try holding a plastic/rubber glove over different parts of the carb (while its making that chirping), and you may detect where the air leakage is.

so this weekend. i checked the compression. did the valves. cleaned the carbs. i got a stethoscope and it sounds like its coming from the rear valve covers. i need to figure this noise out. its killing me!

Back