What is it?

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What these? Do I need them? Looking to run just a keyed ignition switch and no more switches. Just lights that are on all the time and stop light. No turn signal, no horn, no starter. Keeping the stock ignition and charging system. 72 is the year...........what are my options for a throttle? Don't want the big bulky switch but keeping the stock carbs. I think I need a dual cable one?

Can I get rid of the decompression stuff? Are blank covers available for the engine?

10308730_10202936654754046_1174351191865192055_n.jpg

10245277_10202936655154056_8873014543432549020_n.jpg

10174975_10202936655474064_185546395451639169_n.jpg

10274100_10202936655834073_4582971292400205554_n.jpg

top picture looks like a voltage regulator. the second set is a decompression lever, its use to start the bike. first year the 650 got an electric motor was 72 i believe and i think, but not positive that the decompression lever was a 72-73 year only thing.

Yes blank four bolt covers are available, dirt common actually. Remove yours and bolt on the blank done. You can use a two into one cable.

What neanerthal sez top item is the old style mechanical voltage regulator that and the rectifier can be replaced by a more modern electronic all in one reg/rec.

Believe Skull.

first pic is the safety relay from the right side and the second is the voltage regulator from the left side

Keep the safety relay if it is working.

here is a link for replacing the regulator and rectifier, (under the battery box), which is a good idea to replace as well

NOTE: Read the last post 20, by Retiredgentleman

What these? Do I need them? Looking to run just a keyed ignition switch and no more switches. Just lights that are on all the time and stop light. No turn signal, no horn, no starter. Keeping the stock ignition and charging system. 72 is the year...........what are my options for a throttle? Don't want the big bulky switch but keeping the stock carbs. I think I need a dual cable one?
Can I get rid of the decompression stuff? Are blank covers available for the engine

Hi Shawn,
a 1 into 2 throttle cable and a generic twistgrip will work for you.
The decompressor gear is highly sought after so if you don't want those parts they'll make a valuable addition to your swap pile.
As will the bike's leftside exhaust rocker arm.
It should have a nubbin on it to work the lifter and those are really rare too.
A normal rocker arm will swap right in.
Owners of later model XS650s usually wonder why their bikes have 3 rocker covers held on by 3 M6 studs and 1 held on by 4 M8s.
It's because Yamaha was too cheap to change the cylinder head casting dies after they gave up on the decompressor.
So yeah, those 4-hole plain covers are readily available.

What is the complete decompression stuff worth? Throttle, with lever, cable, cover, rocker...all of it?

Hi shawn,
no way to put a cash value on those parts, just that they are by no means worthless.
Carefully store them anyway, the electric stuff too.
You can swap them with other XS650 owners for parts you need and they don't
or you can keep them against the day that you decide to revise your bike build concept and go total stock resto on it.

In your last pic the two lower items are , left the starter relay, right is the rectifier.
If you plan on kick start only you can delete the safety relay.
Upgrading the stock regulator and rectifier is a good idea. Those old stock parts work but are not as efficient as new solid state parts.
Leo

Back