What tank is this?

TedBell

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
img_1171-jpg.125838

I copied this picture from post #24 of the following thread:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs750-tank-on-a-xs650.53030/page-2
Can anyone tell me what the tank on the bike on the left is? The post seems to suggest that both tanks are from a 750, but there seems to be a noticeable size difference between the two. I messaged the author of the post but since he hasn't posted since 2019 I'm not sure he'll see my message and figured I'd ask here. I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Ted

The apparent difference is perspective, tanks are the same, one bike is leaning towards the camera, the other leaning away. It tilts teh tank to a different viewing angle and makes them appear different. They are both XS750 Triple tanks

And good luck trying to find a decent XS750 tank for reasonable money now.
The time to pick one up was ten years ago.
I couldn't find one, so ended up going with an XS400 tank, for the few extra litres - but at 60 mpg, it really makes a difference.

Thanks. And thanks to Whitecrow for responding to my PM. I can see now that they are the same but it's funny how the one on the left looks smaller. After years of my begging him my buddy finally sold me his '81 XS650 that he has modified into a cafe racer. It has the original tank on it but the front corners has a decent amount of rough bondo work done on it. (Looks like some tank slap damage.) I'm wanting to have the tank painted a different color but he recommended keeping that one in it's original color and buying another tank to paint. Thus my long search on what replacement tank to put on it. I like the shape of the 750 tank but they're a bit bigger than I prefer. I saw the above pic and liked the look of the one on the left but thought the one on the right was too stout for my preference on my bike. Ha! Apparently I need to get a 750 tank but just keep the bike leaning away from me so the tank will look smaller.
Thanks,
Ted

Back